• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

service truck ideas (hydraulic line change out, rubber plugs)??

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
ok I have all these different size fittings to thread in and on hoses and fittings so they do not leak of and drain hydraulic oil everywhere,its a pain finding the right one.

I have some rubber corks that go from 1/2 to 3/4 at a real steep angle,just not universel enough,what I am looking for is a solid rubber cork that go from a point to about an inch on the back that is about three inches long max. it would work on plugging a small pilot control valve to a one inch line.

any ideas something has to be easier then carrying around all these fittings, or jamming a knife wittled stick in a hole, so it does not lose a bunch of 100$ a gallon hitachi oil.

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
looked on amazon lots of tapered plugs just nothing that goes from 3/4 to a small point..

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I use Part Number : 276-0731 from your nearest cat dealer. Works well, not to bulky, fits most normal holes, and re useable. Cost about 100 bucks here in Canada so maybe less in the states.

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
I was getting worried the woman was going to kick me out of the house, for eyeballing her rubber wine bottle corks,LOL

Thanks guys, lots of good stuff out there. H.E.F. is the BEST!!!

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
The industrial rubber products company here has sets of long tapered rubber plugs just like you want. Must be a common thing.

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
might have to buy some rubber wine bottle corks, you can buy a six pack for the price of one of these service plugs,its a tapered piece of rubber for 6 bucks!!

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
they are not common at all, not one for sale on ebay or amazon,just came across another idea, when doing a engine teardown or torque converter, transmission or anything in that nature.i always stuffed all the different sized holes with rags,now I am switching to these rubber motorcycle exhaust plugs a bigger plug for 5.99 on amazon.

just got of the phone with Kimball Midwest 10 bucks for one medium taper plug and 24 for the bigger one.

any body have these are they worth the money?

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
IMG_0018.jpg
well I finally got some kind of a plug kit together,its for non pressure, just to keep stuff from leaking every where,and also to keep out dirt and grime.will work on small lines up to radiator hoses 2.25 i.d.and also plug holes lines come off.

I remember the last time I had the d6 tranny out, I plugged all the holes with rags, and one of the rags became very saturated with oil so I double plugged it with another rag,well when it came time to reinstall, I pulled a rag out,and did not realize the first one had fell inside. luckily before install I had a look inside before final seal up.will not have this problem any more, with these plugs!!

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
nowing, they came from ebay, you can get a display 12 pack of big and small exhaust plugs for 40 bucks.

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
IMG_0699.jpgwell after using the rubber plug kit it has saved me lots of time and been very handy from keeping hydraulics from leaking to keeping things on the clean side in a dirty environment.

chris_james

A lot of your new hoses come with plugs or atlest mine do. Or just take old line fitings and weld them up or adapt them to stop the flow. Ill post some pics tomorrow of some of the one's i use

earthscratcher

Occupation
excavating contractor
its crazy nowing75 turned me on to the Kimball midwest plugs years ago, now they are on ebay and amazon. still use them all the time

Zewnten

I bought my first set from the Parker store. Couldn’t afford the caps and plugs kits so the guy showed me these. In the bigger sizes I like the rhino brand the have a flat spot that jams into the hose better than the yellow.