• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

service manual for Case 1840 skid steer

headwrenchdeb

Hi,
We are looking to buy a service manual for Case 1840 skid steer (used or new). We are getting diesel fuel in antifreeze. It isn't missing or smoking.
Thanks,
Deb

Goose

Are you sure someone didnt add some coolant that was in a container with some fuel left in it? The fuel and coolant systems dont really have a way to contaminate each other other than by human error. You might drain the coolant, flush, refill and check to see if it continues to get fuel in the radiator.

headwrenchdeb

Are you sure someone didnt add some coolant that was in a container with some fuel left in it? The fuel and coolant systems dont really have a way to contaminate each other other than by human error. You might drain the coolant, flush, refill and check to see if it continues to get fuel in the radiator.
Hi, yes that's what we are going to do next is drain & flush radiator. Thanks for the help.
Thanks,
Deb

Walker1

Head gasket may do that if bad. Fill coolant to top of neck and run with no cap. Blown head gasket should show in a continuing stream of bubbles coming out. It will usually cause the engine to puke a lot of coolant as well.

Z2898

Head gasket may do that if bad. Fill coolant to top of neck and run with no cap. Blown head gasket should show in a continuing stream of bubbles coming out. It will usually cause the engine to puke a lot of coolant as well.

Correct me if I'm out to lunch but if the head gasket was leaking bad enough to push compression gas/raw fuel into the water jacket on a 4 cylinder engine I would think it would be missing. If cylinder was ingesting coolant on inlet stroke through a bad head gasket because of pressure difference between cylinder and cooling system usually you will see white smoke (steam) and usually an engine miss again. I do agree that you will see compression bubbles floating to the top of the radiator if the head gasket is damaged but I would question a bad head gasket (with all due respect).

Quote "It isn't missing or smoking."

I would like to know how long they have owned the machine. Purchased recently or owned for a long time?

Walker1

Head gasket can weep compression into water jackets for a long period of time and not cause a miss. Without a pressure test and a compression test you are still just guessing. Before he flushes out the coolant, it is a quick easy test to top up to radiator and look for bubbles.