• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Service Manual backhoe 416E & C

andrew80

Hello Guys

Does any one of you have the 416 E & C service manuals in pdf? We have one with brake system problems (braking oil is going to the hydraulic system and it needs surgery

Thanks in advance

DGODGR

Sorry, I can't see how the brake oil is entering the hydraulic system. I can, however, see, and have seen, it getting into the rear differential oil. Maybe that is what you meant? If that is happening I feel very confident that your brake linings are worn out. When this happens it allows the brake pistons to travel so far that the seals allow brake oil to pass (which is how brake fluid ends up in the rear diff). This has happened 2x on my 416C. Both times the brakes were worn out. I got about 5,000 hours from each set of brakes.

andrew80

Thanks DGODGR for your reply. And yes, that`s happening with the machine. Below are some pics. What is your recomendation for changing parts?

Captura.PNGCaptur.PNG

Lee-online

It is a simple job to remove the rear axle, Remove driveshaft, park brake cable, 2 brake hoses, diff lock spring and bracket holding hoses on top left rear. Unbolt axle and remove.
The axle housings need removed from the diff section then the brake discs and pistons can be removed. Stand the axles in the wheels to hold them up while you work on them.

The E is a little different.

andrew80

Thanks Lee. I will check the parts book. I want to order the spares two or 3 weeks before the backhoe comes to the shop. Here with Finning it takes that time.
Now I will watch the game: MNF Texans vs Patriots

DGODGR

Be sure to buy extra inner & outer o-rings (items 9 & 12 in picture of the piston). Putting the assembly back together is tough. Covering the o-rings with assembly lube will help but it is easy to cut, or roll them, when assembling the piston into the backing plate. I don't see the plates (the brakes are similar to a clutch) in your diagram but you will need new ones. You will not know if the assembly has been put back together correctly until you hook everything back up. I recommend that you have a source of compressed air available. Once you have re-installed the axle housing to the differential housing you can apply air to the oil ports on top of the axle (the one that the brake fluid travels through). You should hear the brakes engage but you should NOT hear any air leaking into the axle housing. If you hear air leaking you have a problem with the inner and/or outer o-ring and you must get back in there and fix it. Yes it's a bit of a PITA to tear it back down but it's way better than finding the problem once the axle is back in the machine and you put your foot on the brakes and find it's still spongy and dumping fluid.

andrew80

Do you guys have the part list for this brake section? The machine is a 416D B2D01197. What I have are those two pics I found on internet for a 416E and it doesn´t show the brake linings.
If I dont give the p/n to Finning it takes forever to get a quote

DGODGR

I only have the parts book for a 416C and the numbers for the brake linings have been superceeded by new linings that contain Kevlar. Sorry.

andrew80

Hey guys I learned that the brake discs have been changed twice. Once in Dec 2011 and Sept 2012 and both for the oil problem. So I started some digging and I found the Sept discs and here you have some picsIMG_2627.jpgIMG_2628.jpgIMG_2629.jpgIMG_2630.jpg. What do you think? Assembly problem?

andrew80

Also, does anyone have the brake`s assembly dwg ? Wanna make sure it is done right