• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Serrated Edges & Grass

Queenslander

Iam wondering if anyone who has had experince with serrated edges could tell me how they handle dense stands of grass?
Here in rural Oz, following record summer rainfall, we're left with huge areas of tall, thick grass which will pose a massive fire risk come spring.
We have months of work ahead of us cutting fire breaks and I thought they might tend saw the grass off at ground level rather than having to take an inch or two of topsoil with a standard edge.
Cheers, Greg

Grader4me

I really don't think serrated edges will do it for you. I've used them quite alot for grading roads, scarfying ice etc..I just can't see them working for your application..maybe someone else here might have a different opinon? I think with serrated or straight blades you're going to have to get into the soil...

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Why not use a 15' batwing mower and a 100hp tractor? And even if youy were going to grade a road thru there, I'd was the grass chopped off first so the sod didnt roll up into huge balls.

562C

Yup. cut the grass first.....
I use serrated carbides 365 days a year, designed for ice but work great on gravel too. Only time the machine gets straight blades is shouldering, for taking the gravel back off the pavement. If we shoulder with two machines, still use the carbide serrated blades to cut.

Queenslander

Thanks for the replies fellas,
Mowing or slashing the grass first is kinda out of the question.Owing to the distances involved,100s of miles,we have to get it done with one pass.
The straight blades work OK,it's just that I'am always on the lookout for easier ways to do things.
Anyway, curiosity got the better of me so I've ordered a set of Cat serrated blades, just the standard ones with no carbide.
They are 3/4 thick as opposed to the 5/8 ones I normally run, so if nothing else they should last a little longer.

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Hi Serrated edges are not for you, if you have to use them the Grass gets stuck in the serrations, and wont flow off end of blade and you end up with massive pile of grass going nowhere . I reckon for they would be waste of time and money
stick to standard cutting edge would be my advice, We tried serrated cutting edges years ago Father reckoned they would be good they hopeless waste of time SO you know somtimes Fathers are wrong ,but admit it" NO"
he would not.
Hope thiis advic e help,s Lesp

562C

Thanks for the replies fellas,
Mowing or slashing the grass first is kinda out of the question.Owing to the distances involved,100s of miles,we have to get it done with one pass.
The straight blades work OK,it's just that I'am always on the lookout for easier ways to do things.
Anyway, curiosity got the better of me so I've ordered a set of Cat serrated blades, just the standard ones with no carbide.
They are 3/4 thick as opposed to the 5/8 ones I normally run, so if nothing else they should last a little longer.

The carbide ones I use only are serrated about 1", just enough for the carbide teeth. I wouldn't use them unless the grass was cut short. If the cat ones are the deep cut (4"?) I wouldn't use them for this job. they'll just drag sod, the material won't flow worth beans.

Queenslander

OK, point taken , we don't cut fire breaks all the time so they won't go to waste.
I'll let you know how I get on in a couple of weeks.
Cheers, Greg

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Brand new 1/2" thick edges work as good as you can without slashing/burning or discing. One of the most :Banghead frustrating jobs to do with a grader. Good luck

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
Hi Queenslander. Have you put your Serrated edge blades on yet . Operators from other lands don't realaise the distance we have to work in Australia.and Just one Cut ius all the time you have to get Shoiulders clean , Some of that Native grass doesn't like to Flo off end of blade, Many years a ago there was an old Grader operator out back Of Taroom Qld He camped out, One night farmer hears a noise looks out and sees the grader going Round the Crop A fair bit was flattened by time they got the old Chap to stop
He was kinda retired after that had been doing Shoulders for years {was Nice old Guy but left out by himself to long}

Queenslander

Many years a ago there was an old Grader operator out back Of Taroom Qld He camped out, One night farmer hears a noise looks out and sees the grader going Round the Crop A fair bit was flattened by time they got the old Chap to stop
He was kinda retired after that had been doing Shoulders for years {was Nice old Guy but left out by himself to long}

Les,
Things aren't that bad in our camp....yet. Strange things happen in the bush.
I haven't tried the serrated edges yet, based on the advice of the posts above, I thought it might be prudent to wait untill I have the machine home with a little privacy to save myself some embarrassment.
That should be in a month or so, it has been away since early April.
As you would be aware, the fire situation has eased here a little over the last month, with early rain allowing large areas to be burned while the weather is still very cool.
Still a lot of country left to go and warm weather not far away.
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
hi Greg, i reckon thats a good idea , We were disappointed with our serrated cutting edges as in those times{45year}ago they were real new fangled however same principle applies today God Luck trying them at home they are ok i guess for roadways/ stock trails. etc but dont bother with trying gras shoulders,
I would think that after the rain you have had up north in the so called dry will have increased the fire danger down here in Vic Problem is it was wet all last sumer and still to wet in place for crops to be put in, BUt it will be grave fire danger when it doesa dry up got all our fire plans in place
Cheers Lesp