• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Serrated Cutting Edges

Northart

Here's a brochure from Caterpillar. :usa

Form PEDP2104-02.

Has lots info on cutting edges for graders. Literature says, "There are more than 70 Cat Motor Grader cutting edges available...............":)

2nd two pictures are of a gravel road going to Alaska DOT shop in Talkeetna, graded with serrated cutting edges.

Attachments

• Serrated Cutting Edges a.JPG
    Serrated Cutting Edges a.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,737
  • Serrated Cutting Edges b.JPG
    Serrated Cutting Edges b.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,684
  • Serrated Cutting Edges c.JPG
    Serrated Cutting Edges c.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,646

Northart

Here's what State of Alaska DOT uses . :usa All winter, on blacktop roads, gravel roads, airport blacktop runway, and parking areas.

Attachments

• Serrated Cutting Edges d.JPG
    Serrated Cutting Edges d.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,742
  • Serrated Cutting Edges e.JPG
    Serrated Cutting Edges e.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,953
  • Serrated Cutting Edges f.JPG
    Serrated Cutting Edges f.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,652

Northart

Serrated Cutting edges come in different widths, 1 1/2" and 2" .

The Caterpillar GraderBit system can be arranged differently. Wide,narrow openings or solid.

Attachments

• Serrated Cutting Edges g.JPG
    Serrated Cutting Edges g.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 2,571
  • Serrated Cutting Edges i.JPG
    Serrated Cutting Edges i.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,649
  • Serrated Cutting Edges j.JPG
    Serrated Cutting Edges j.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,604

Grader4me

Great information Northart! Great pics of what the serrated blades will do. I'm sure it will be very useful for those that have never used them before. Good stuff.

surfer-joe

Great Lakes Paper (and others) used serrated edges extensively in northern Ontario on bush roads in winter time. I used the Cat "Grader Bit" system quite a bit maintaining haul roads in coal mines in West Virginia and Kentucky.

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
I'd never used anything but regular solid cutting edges before last year. Now I use the conical John Deere style rotating bits. They work pretty good for road maintenance. There is never a crown to contend with in the blade, just individual bits to replace when they break or fall out. My only issue with them is that they tend to separate the bones out on 1.5" and bigger crushed rock when I make the final passes.

Northart

Carbide tips

Here's another kind of application used by a contractor, for haul roads in winter.

Attachments

• Carbide Ripper teeth a.JPG
    Carbide Ripper teeth a.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 3,065

Grader4me

I agree that the rotating bits do a great job with gravel road maintenance. It chews up and blends the material very well. The only time that I've used these in the summer was when the roads were hard and dry, and very difficult to get a cut with straight blades. I've tryed them in the winter for scarfiying but only on the gravel roads. With the regular serrated blades you could get away with giving some chipseal roads a light scratch(if built up with ice) but with the rotating bits it was out of the question. They would gouge right into the road.
I also had to switch blades continually in the winter time from straight to serrated as I went from scarfiying (gravel roads) to cutting snowpack on the paved roads. Easier to switch using the regular serrated blades as they were lighter. At times I would switch a couple of times during a storm.

Cat140G

Occupation
Motorgrader Operator
Wow

Thanks for the pics Northart. Looks like you're ready for anything mother nature throws at you. Looking at some of those pics, it looks like the serrated blades are thicker than the cutting blades. I think we've finally got the bigwigs talked into buying some serrated blades. Thanks again.

Last edited:

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Nice pics by the way Northart!

All graders doing work on public roads are equiped with a constant pressuresystem here around.:)
Then u can adjust the blade pressure so that the carbide bits dont tear up the asphalt.
Your bits then last for a very long time. Some might have them trough the whole winter.
Price here is around 10$ each....

Its also very important that the bits rotate, if not they wear in one spot, dont rotate and breaks or get worn down very quick.
We pure just a smal amount of antifreece on them in the morning, and u get no problem at all.

I have only seen a presure system like ours in the 24M graders.
I think it is a addon system offerred by Cat to the 24M.

I posted some pictures in another tread around here..

Northart

Grader control

Hello MKTEF,

Are you talking about "FLOAT" where the levers are pushed forward or a electric switch is activated to release all hydraulic pressure, so the blade just floats over the surface, in constant contact, with the surface.

Going too fast, in float, with a heavy snow load under it, allows the blade to start rising up . Example, blade tilted too far forward,a heavy snowfall, wet snow,etc. This leaves some snow and ice behind that eventually builds a thick snow and ice pack, that then, must be removed in the spring, during breakup.

Years ago this was normal, to allow snow and ice pack to build up, but now they are putting sand and salt mixture on the roads to keep bare pavement showing.

Maintenance procedures are changing through the years.

Grader4me

I'll jump in for a sec here. Northart, the float system that you and I are used to is not the same as MKTEF is describing. The "constant pressure system" that he is refering to is on the new Volvo graders. In float position you can adjust the pressure on the moldboard to fit the application that you are doing. This would prevent the blade from riding up as you describe. With this system if you hit anything hard the pressure will release.

I think that I'm on the right track with this. I'm sure that MKTEF will explain it to you in more detail.

Northart

"Constant Pressure System"

Hello Grader4me,

Maybe it's something I have not heard of .

Well, Caterpillar has one also, ME the Operator, I constantly monitor and adjust the blade contact. LOL :)

So, if this a "trip" for "Iron in the street" , much like the spring loaded pickup plows, I could see the usefullness, of it.

The old mechanical graders had the shear pins for that purpose.

Far as relieving the Operator of control of the blade ????

HHmmnn , pretty soon it will become robotic! LOL :)

Northart

Grader control ?

Hi Grader4me,

Hey this is a great place to visit.:)

Learn all kind of stuff, available nowhere else. :drinkup

I checked out your saved older thread, most interesting.

Hey, I'm of the old school now, trying to save my hard earned skills , from being stolen by robotics ! LOL :)

Pretty much like the Air Force Fighter Pilots. Opposing unmaned a/c like the Predator and other unmaned a/c.

But , the price of this new stuff (equipment) is going to bommerang, nobody be able to afford it. Much like the F-22 Raptor Fighter . Just limited numbers.

Even Operator Training now is getting to be absolutely necessary, because of the complexity and cost.

Seem like the simple stuff survives time.

Our future junkyards won't have much of this electronic age equipment, compared to the antiques of yesteryear. :drinkup

Well, just bring it on, the new technology, long as I'm able to keep up. :drinkup

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Carbide bits edges

Reseived a bunch of carbide bits and holders today.:)

Mounted the system on the grader i use for winter maint.
The others is planned for Sudan, so they got another setup.:cool:

It was late this evening so it got a little dark in the pics.
I'll see tomorrow if i can get some pictures around lunch when it is at its brightest.;)

I'll also take some of the holders and bits to show this type from Sandvik.
Brochure is posted earlier though.

Did some testing later this evening, and they shure bites. This is the most effective setup i've tried so far. They nearly dosen't need any downpressure, i am nearly adding positive not get a to big "bite".
They just eats down into the ice. When u look at the bits u understand way, they are like spikes with a real sharpened point edge.:)
And all of them rotate as u use them.
We will se how long they last when i touch the asphalt.... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 2008_01030001 (Small).JPG
    2008_01030001 (Small).JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 653
  • 2008_01030003 (Small).JPG
    2008_01030003 (Small).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 644
  • 2008_01030004 (Small).JPG
    2008_01030004 (Small).JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 636
  • 2008_01030005 (Small).JPG
    2008_01030005 (Small).JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 661

06bowtie_guy

MKTEF, I'm a mechanic underground in a nickle mine and on our grader for roads we run that exact setup. Those buttons seem to last good. As you said they rotate as you go so wear is good. Our biggest issue is the edge of blade wearing from rubbing the rock walls. Have little blade extentions so just replace and go again. Operators seem to like this setup more than the traditional flat blade previously used. As time goes on and they don't want to stay in the hole we just run a bead or two vertically and then the button fits back in like new. :drinkup

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Nice to hear that some has tested, and found them worth the price to use...:)

Here is some pics of the setup.
The bits have a ring of thin metal around a flange on the pin that goes into the holder. Thats all that keeps them inside the holder.
U just knock them in with a hammer and a cup that fits onto the base.:)
Here i got 2x 4 foot and 2x 3 foot holders.

Attachments

• 2008_01040001 (Small).JPG
    2008_01040001 (Small).JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 592
  • 2008_01040002 (Small).JPG
    2008_01040002 (Small).JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 609
  • Kopi av 2008_01040003 (Small).JPG
    Kopi av 2008_01040003 (Small).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 601
  • 2008_01040004 (Small).JPG
    2008_01040004 (Small).JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 603

AK20

Occupation
Operator, State of Alaska DOT
Greetings to Northart, another AK DOT guy here...I work for DOT Northern on the Haul Road. Anyway, we run the serrated blades as well for most snow removal and to "scratch" some of our hills, some of which exceeding 10-12% grade for traction. We also use what we call "button bits", pretty much the same thing MKTEF has there with a couple differences. We mainly use our button bits for ice-paving the highway up here, 60,000 gallons or so of water a mile, mix with dirt and tada - instant sandpaper that lasts all winter, for the most part.