• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

serrated cutting edges... anyone use them before?

928G Boy

Apparently a lot of guys around here are starting to use these serrated cutting edges on their excavator digging buckets in the frost this winter... they say they work great, better than conventional teeth somehow. i have my doubts about this because i haven't actually seen one in action yet, but have any of you seen or used these? If so, what are your opinions of these cutting edges?

alco

My experience with the type of edge I think you mean was very positive. If I am correct, you are talking about edges like the ones used on graders for ice.

I found depending on what you were doing, a cleanup bucket with ice edges can cut through the frost better than teeth. The ice edges shave the surface and give you more uniform material. Teeth on a digging bucket tend to rip out bigger chunks and make is less pleasant to handle afterwards.

Brian