• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Series/parallel for jump start

Thinking on service truck with 4 batteries. I thinking I could hook up series parallel for 24 volt jump on a 12volt service truck . Any thoughts ?

Midnightmoon

I set up two batteries separate from the truck batteries with a golf cart solenoid to allow for 12 or 24 volt jump starts along with a quick connect jumper cable setup. The truck while running charged them.

Midnightmoon

It's been a while since I had this setup I used a series parralel switch. I cant wrap my head around how you could make it work without a switch and maintain the batteries equally. 24volt jumper in place of starter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210313-070018_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20210313-070018_Brave.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 64

Old Doug

If i had a very new truck i would not do this. If i was needing to do this alot i would get 2 spare bats to haul around if you hauled a welder or had a coverter to charge them.

Midnightmoon

They ran series parralel switches on trucks with 24 volt starters for a long time. If switch goes bad you just dont have 24volt output. The switch is the only way I would do it

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That looks exactly like what Kenworth used to use on their old 24/12 systems. I believe I've seen it an an old IH loadstar or transtar with a super 290 as well. That old girl still had the compression relief under the dash.

lantraxco

My electrical repair guy knows these S/P switches well but says its hard to get parts to repair them.
They're a hundred bucks, and with what little use one would get in a setup like this, keep it dry it will probably outlive you.

Midnightmoon

I used one for over 5 years in frigid temps all the time jumping loaders for snow removal it never failed me. 100 bucks is well worth it.

What I ended up doing is just add 2 batteries 1000 amp each in steal box wired in series / parallel switch just like 70s Kenworth so battery’s charge off truck alt quick connector for jump start cables so I can use same cables for 12 volt off truck batteries a switch in box panel to control s/p switch .