• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Series 50 rebuild cost

Joe H

One thing I brought in long ago was foam guns. These things
1716160649044.png
I think they were less than $7 each by the pallet. When the first batch got here I was looking at them and pulled the trigger. Pfssssssssstttt, out came Chinese air. I'm at 6750' so it was sea level air in there.

It's been about 12 years ago and the few I kept still have that pressurized air in them I think although haven't used one in awhile.

So the quality is there, or can be. Those things sell for $30 to $70 every where, and no matter who is selling them they came from China. The first one I bought was a Hilti, it was about $75 then, and it was from China too. Said Hilti on it but made in China, looked like this
1716160993013.png

So the moral of the story is who knows what you'll get from China but it's not necessarily junk.

Joe H

chidog

Every manufacture farms out some production and or parts manufacture, I think its been that way since the big one, WW2. Problem is now you don't really know what country or who has made said parts.

$8K transmission controller for a tractor? And that is one of the main reasons for them to convert to electronics, they know they have you over a barrel when it comes to a little black box computer, that you have to have now. In a car its supposedly to help with the phony emissions, that jet engines don't have to comply with. Why does a tractor need electronics for a transmission? Its time to use something like a Mega squirt transmission controller open source, or use some stinking relays and switches to run the thing.

AzIron

Almost all components are made by 3rd parties Any more what's more is in my reasherch there typically is only one producer of a part and oem and aftermarket get them from there

Ordered parts to rebuild the rear axel on. Cat 416c from the dealer brakes and seals were almost 2500 bucks ordering aftermarket was 1100 here's the kicker the axel was made by new Holland they were the same parts aftermarket as oem no difference

The oem marks up the part on acquisition the oem warehouse puts handling on it dealer recieves at there main warehouse puts markup on it ships it to the store and it gets marked up again

It's a never ending hallway of middle men for parts anymore that's where a huge amount of the cost get added up to the end guy add in that there is a lot of corporate bloat

Around here shop rates and field rates are getting to be the same it feel like extortion the cat dealer has a shop foreman a service manager 2 service writers and now they have customer liaisons so about 6 non producing wages for the 12 wrenches that work in that shop and that's no to mention the backend accounting department costs

It's a moral thing anymore on the gouging of customers I see it in everything now people don't have the moral compass to be content with standard biz they got to get there mostly mortgage on one invoice

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Reminds me about the time I needed a alternator for the road sweeper used in the quarry eighteen years ago. Sweeper is a Rosco, call dealer we got it from and believe they quoted $1156.00. This is just a little Cummins 4B3.3 diesel Not! a 1710 V-12 Cummins!

So next called the local Cummins dealer and they quoted me $562.00.

Then I called the place we got most of our starters and alternators from, it stated as a small local outfit but I think they service much of the NorthEast last I knew, at first they were hoping to repair it but said best to sell us a new one and they would credit us some for the core. That ended up costing total of $214.29 delivered to our door.
This is all true, but...outfit I get starters/alternators from, always tries to sell you Chinese junk first for like $100. They also catalog various other grades of the same part number, no rhyme or reason. You have to ask for a cross reference Denso to replace a Hitachi since Hit. won't sell aftermarket any more. But the Denso has a totally different size and shape, wire connections not in the same place. Or take Chinese and take your chances that it will quit in a month.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
As to the labor rate. We independents have to set the rate to limit the workload to a manageable level. Only way to keep it under control. If the rate has gotten high because of that, don't go buy a ski boat , because 2008 part 2 is just around the corner. Or is it? Been predicted now for the past 6 years and the work keeps coming. Doesn't matter to me. I like to work way better than water ski anyway.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I think what we are seeing is what has been predicted for the last 10-20 years - the skilled labor gap. Been reading about it for years where fewer and fewer younger folks were going into the trades and the old timers are stepping out. Now what we are experiencing is exactly that IMO.

BV I think you hit the nail on the head with this line -

As to the labor rate. We independents have to set the rate to limit the workload to a manageable level. Only way to keep it under control.

The bed has been made and society is going to have to lay in it. For years management salaries have increased from the C-suites down to the local managers % wise more than the skilled workers actually doing the job. This has caused young ones to seek other career paths than the trades.

Call it whatever you like but it just boils down to supply and demand. Even if the demand wanes the supply (skilled workers) is still low and will be for the foreseeable future.

Just my $.035 adjusted for massive inflation.

Joe H

Old Mitchell manuals had labor rates in the back, seems 50/50 % split was common. I worked for a dealer in the early 70s, every time the labor rate went up my % went down.

And then I left.

Joe H

Welder Dave

When running a mall is good enough to run a paving outfit what kind of mechanics will be employed?
It depends on the mall. Not that it was managed the best but West Edmonton Mall has an amusement park and a water park. There are several really good millwrights and a full welding shop. Rides were shut down every year and stripped down to check for cracks or other issues. A lot of the rides needed constant maintenance.