• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

serial number vs. model number case 580SK

Dabney

Occupation
retired but not too tired to try one more
I just bought, today, my first backhoe - a Case 580 Super King. Salesman said it is a 1994 model, but when I got on the internet and started looking for a manual and there seems to be some confusing info. My serial number is JJG017 etc etc. I just read that serial numbers beginning with 17 started in 1988. Can anyone out there shed some light on this?
According to some info I read the manual for a serial number beginning with 17 was published in 1988 -
My check won't clear til Monday morning, so I could use some help on this ASAP!! If I've bought a model earlier than 1994 I want to get back to the dealer for some serious adjustments in the price! Thanks. :(

nilzlofgren

My 580K is a 1990, and my S/N starts at 27. D3 equipment, is a Case dealer in California. They have a great website, where you can see a complete illustrated parts list of your machine with every part number. I believe they also show all the manuals. from the main page, click "parts and service" than click on 'parts for Case CE." Than, enter your model number. There is a difference with serial numbers below JJG020000 and above JJG020000. This might be where the Phase 3 comes in. My 580K is a phase 3, and my S/N is JJG027XXX. (I cant remember the last 3 digits). Hope this helps.

Dustin Mason

Dabney,

The "17..." information you read is true, but it is a different serial numbering system, and was used with older backhoes up until the first K's. The former method was an 8 digit (or less) number, and all the early K's I ever saw started with 17.... Then sometime in 87-88 Case changed their format. They switched to the JJG...number like yours.

Hope you enjoy the new 'hoe.

Dustin

Mighty Moe

Can anyone help with year and weight of a Csae 580E serial# 9077396?It's not a extendahoe,it's 2wd,and 4cyl. deisl(cummins)I belive?