• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Selling equipment

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
My dad has a 65 GTO for sale and had a similar experience. Guy claimed it sight unseen and promised to send a certified check. My dad was suspicious because of the amount of money and asked the guy to call him so they could speak. Poof. Gone.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
My dad has a 65 GTO for sale and had a similar experience. Guy claimed it sight unseen and promised to send a certified check. My dad was suspicious because of the amount of money and asked the guy to call him so they could speak. Poof. Gone.

That is the litmus test I use, selling stuff and also scam calls to the business for jobs and such. Call me. The scammers will never call, at least I haven't run into one who will.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The scammers will call you, alright. They are cunning as the proverbial outhouse rats. I got scammed on a transport job. I needed some industrial gates and chain-mesh fencing rolls picked up from a location many hundreds of kms away. They were purchased at auction, and located in a Govt Dept yard.

The scammers registered with a load-finding site, calling themselves "iTransport Solutions". I put up the load for offers, and they emailed me with a reasonable price.

Then they called me and discussed the job. I should've been wary of the Indian voice, but many businesses use India as a base for administration, and Indians make up a sizeable portion of the Australian population today.

Then he sent an email with a proper invoice and an Australian bank account number, and even an address and landline number.
I checked on the address and it was an office location in Melbourne, Victoria and looked legitimate.

I was still suspicious, so I asked if the company was picking up the goods with their own truck or using a subcontractor.
The guy advised they were using TNT Transport as the subcontractor, and even sent me a genuine TNT booking confirmation!

I paid the $780 they requested, and then when I asked the guy in charge of the Govt Dept yard two days later, if the fencing materials had been picked up, he told me, No!

It was only then I realised that anyone can book a job with TNT and get a confirmation - but you don't have to proceed with the job!

The scammers vanished, and my money went with them!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Anybody else notice this:

You'll have something listed for sale online, $XXXX.XX OBO. Someone will make an offer, sight unseen. You say ok and they come to get it. Once they show up they think they can lowball you.

Sorry bud, you made the offer sight unseen and we agreed on the price. Either stand by your offer or go pound sand.

BC Placer gold

Anybody else notice this:

You'll have something listed for sale online, $XXXX.XX OBO. Someone will make an offer, sight unseen. You say ok and they come to get it. Once they show up they think they can lowball you.

Sorry bud, you made the offer sight unseen and we agreed on the price. Either stand by your offer or go pound sand.
Have seen this also, have actually seen ads where the seller states: ‘no offers until item seen in person‘

Pony

Yeah I've done it a few times, only with smaller things though.
Though they were a bit dear and didn't want to drive all that way and they wouldn't move on price.
I still look the item over and make sure they represented it fairly and then stood by my offer.
It hasn't happened yet, but if I found something like, they didn't photograph some damage or something like that, I would either want to renegotiate or walk away.
Fairness cuts both ways, be honest with me, I'll do the right by you.