• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sell some equipment to take advantage of crazy market?

AzIron

Here is what I know for sure I am raising prices right now and making less money because labor parts input cost of everything is going up my home electric bill has gone up 5 percent in a year so it's either inflation or my dollar is losing power either way it is not good

You cant make anything off of money anymore in interest so your in at risk investing to see any returns

To the op point of sell high and wait that's a great idea if the crash or market correction is next spring or early summer if it's not what is going to be your source of income cause you ain't making any money with that cash in the bank

Truck Shop

I realize many people don't read much anymore. But for anyone interested here is one of the best books written about the people and historic
calamity known as the Great Depression. Written in 1970 by Edward Robb Ellis-{A Nation In Torment} a well written chronical leading up to and
and the aftermath of the depression. History repeats it's self, it mirrors our times.

suladas

Well there is a demand for second mortgages, building mortgages, etc, rates around 10%. I've actually had a fair bit of interest in the truck, even one guy who wanted truck and trailer, and a decent amount on CTL, though it seems people think CTL price is high. Nothing on the hoe surprisingly. I mean if I got $70k for the truck and trailer, i'd seriously consider just doing it if I could find a good guy to move mine for reasonable for the time being and see what happens, I would make about $15k profit on them. Just hard to gauge if it's real interest or tire kickers. I do have the option if I just sold the truck at $30k which is about $5k profit to use my dads again, considering it's just sitting too. It would save me a fair amount, and allow him to make a bit more with his, it only saw 6,000 miles last year. If I knew next year would be slow i'd definitely consider to drop expenses, but if it was going to be busy i'd prefer to keep my own.

Got to decide either way soon as my brother and I looking at moving from our yard to a place with yard and shop. No sense in me paying a bunch of rent for shop space if I don't have much equipment to make use of it.

Mini hoe would still be a decent source of income. Probably half my work this year has been using it. For example the last 6 weeks it's the only piece i've used.

suladas

Got a offer of $27.5k for dump, pretty sure that's a few thousand more then i'm into it doesn't include my time but it's also made me a fair amount of money the last 2 years.

Really thinking about letting it go, use my dads truck and over the winter sell the trailer and buy a tandem tractor and tandem trailer. I can buy both for $40k for pretty decent units and replace 2 trucks and trailers that I will get $100k-$110k for plus a ton of yearly savings on inspections, repairs, insurance, etc. I just hate seeing so much money tied up into stuff that doesn't get used a lot, even if I pull out $60k I loose no equipment or ability to do any jobs except for a dump which quite frankly isn't worth my time anyway when I can hire them for $85/hr. The best jobs i'm doing right now are house demos bring the hoe hire bins then dump trucks in and out the same day. If I hauled concrete myself it adds at least another half to full day to make an extra $500-$800, it's not worth it.

Welder Dave

You do realize that no matter how you figure it, when you sell any of your equipment or vehicles, there will come a time(s) you'll really need it and be kicking yourself for selling it. It may cost you cost you a big job or a lot of frustration but guaranteed you will wish you had never sold it. If you ending up buying something to replace it, you'll never know what you have unless you buy new. Buying new is not cheap and also not without problems. See the Cat 150 grader thread.

suladas

In most cases yes, but just selling the dump, I have access to my dads virtually any time I want so it's really not hurting me much. Buyer suppose to come tomorrow, I turned down $27.5k and they agreed to come up to $29k, I couldn't say no, doing the math it's about $2500 more then i'm into it for. It's a great old truck but for how much I use it, I think the next few years the yearly bills are going to continue to be $4-5k to pass inspection, motor mounts rear suspension bushing etc I was told last year the rubber on that stuff is getting to the point of replacing in a few years.

Decided i'm not selling the 210 or CTL, just going to get rid of the 25 ton tag and go to tandem tractor and tandem trailer, will be so much nicer for moving the 210 around. Also I am going to find either a flat deck or a twisted up trailer for the neck, add beavertail and ramps so I can haul CTL/mini hoe on a flat deck type deal on the tractor instead of pulling trailer, that way I can sell my 5500 and trailer.

Buying used is always a risk for sure, but buying a older tractor is a lot easier, there is so many for sale and always cheap. If I spent $30k I can get a really nice tractor, even $15-20k gets you a lot.

Welder Dave

Would you be interested in 24ft. (I think) with beaver tails tandem dually trailer with I think 22,000lb. GVW? I haven't looked at it too close for a while as it's in my neighbors field. He was hauling bales with it a couple years ago. It is a Falcan trailer that needs some TLC. I can do some of TLC or sell it as is. It actually doesn't have very many miles on it. It was a package deal when I bought my track loader with backhoe. It was like new when I got (except the ramps were a little beat up from the Cat) and I only put about 200 miles on it. I didn't do a lot of contracting with the Cat. I don't have a truck to pull it and am not going to license and register my 94 dump truck. The trailer has a pintle hitch. A gooseneck could be made to adapt it. I know a trailer place that could probably do this but not positive. They used to do modifications like this all the time. Price would depend on how much you wanted to put into fixing some issues. Axles and structurally it is very sound. It has the oil bath hubs which are supposed to be better. A little beat up because my neighbor who's 85 now DOES NOT have the best eye sight. I'm a little ticked but he let me take about 700yds. of sand from his back field so I let it go. Price would be quite a bit under 10K if you wanted to do a bunch of repairing on your own. I was thinking of selling it anyway but don't know if I'm better to fix it all up, partially fix it or sell it as is. The trailer is about 45 minutes from Edmonton. You can send me a PM or I can send you one if you might be interested.

suladas

Would you be interested in 24ft. (I think) with beaver tails tandem dually trailer with I think 22,000lb. GVW? I haven't looked at it too close for a while as it's in my neighbors field. He was hauling bales with it a couple years ago. It is a Falcan trailer that needs some TLC. I can do some of TLC or sell it as is. It actually doesn't have very many miles on it. It was a package deal when I bought my track loader with backhoe. It was like new when I got (except the ramps were a little beat up from the Cat) and I only put about 200 miles on it. I didn't do a lot of contracting with the Cat. I don't have a truck to pull it and am not going to license and register my 94 dump truck. The trailer has a pintle hitch. A gooseneck could be made to adapt it. I know a trailer place that could probably do this but not positive. They used to do modifications like this all the time. Price would depend on how much you wanted to put into fixing some issues. Axles and structurally it is very sound. It has the oil bath hubs which are supposed to be better. A little beat up because my neighbor who's 85 now DOES NOT have the best eye sight. I'm a little ticked but he let me take about 700yds. of sand from his back field so I let it go. Price would be quite a bit under 10K if you wanted to do a bunch of repairing on your own. I was thinking of selling it anyway but don't know if I'm better to fix it all up, partially fix it or sell it as is. The trailer is about 45 minutes from Edmonton. You can send me a PM or I can send you one if you might be interested.

Thanks for the offer but I need a trailer capable of hauling my 210 hoe, so need at least 50,000lbs of capacity. I would list it on Kijiji, trailer prices have just went stupid high lately. Since I bought a new 3x7k axle trailer in the spring at $9200 all in same trailer is now $12,200.

Welder Dave

Thanks for letting me know. I know trailer prices have gone sky high. I thought you were looking for a trailer to carry a mini hoe and a CTL. I'll have to pull the trailer over from my neighbors and see how bad it is, then decide how much I should fix. It's mostly minor stuff and I don't know if it's worth it putting new ties on.