• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

seized up pin

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I just noticed that all the three torches shown in the videos Dave posted appear to be significantly larger than the Cat Mini-Torch.
The holder for the exothermic rod on the Cat torch is no larger than a normal 300-amp screwed electrode holder.

hosspuller

There are a few manufacturers that make rods that are crimped down on one end so that you could slide two rods together. That helps keep down on waste and can expand your reach.

Blocker .. Thanks for posting
This video shows making a guide and shield for boring a pin... Even Tinker should be able to keep it centered :p I particularly like the shield idea (not being fond of molten steel showers):eek:

Being a tool junkie... I appreciate learning about tools. I've never seen or heard of. Thanks Guys..

edgephoto

^^^ I love tools and have a ton of them. Now I need to get one of these torches. Would have made the seized pin in my 426 come out faster.

Blocker in MS

I think a person could make one of these pretty cheap if you bought the collets and rods. I have never needed an oxygen lance yet, but I might be brave enough to try to make one of these one day.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Speed is the tool of the day these days, pins are cheap replaceable pieces and much more timely to get out by smoking the centers out not requiring tons of specialty ever changing tooling to save a pin that may self destruct or already be destroyed removing conventionally.

Last edited:

colson04

I think a person could make one of these pretty cheap if you bought the collets and rods. I have never needed an oxygen lance yet, but I might be brave enough to try to make one of these one day.

on a different thread involving @crane operator and @Randy88 , Randy88 described making his own oxygen lance using 1/8" black pipe, ball valve, couplers, etc and hooking it up to an oxygen tank. He then used an oxy torch to ignite the end of the 1/8" pipe and off he went, burning out a seized pin.

The thread was in the trailers section about a seized pin in a trailer neck than Crane Operator was working on. Another thread with great discussion.

Nige

I had a little experience with air arcs many years ago. I wouldn't consider blowing that pin out for fear of making a hole big enough for a Missouri mule to walk through.
A lance on YouTube looks even scarier !
The air arc and mini-torch are totally different animals. They even work totally different. I'd think at least twice about letting even a good welder near an E-Bar centre pin with an air-arc, I WOULD let him torch it out with a min-torch though. Even someone as cack-handed as me can use one.....

Nige

None of the torches are that big but the rods can be up 36" long. Here's another option similar to the Cat torch. I would think they'd be available for rent. Just need an oxygen cylinder.
http://www.pccampana.com/caldotorch/mini-caldo-torch.htm
I was referring to the physical size of the torch handle, not the length of the rod attached to it. Just to give an idea here's a photo of the Cat mini-torch holder attached to my hand, and my hands aren't the largest thing in the World.

upload_2020-1-29_15-23-49.png

dieseldog5.9

When using that lance the biggest part of the opperation is cutting in a fashion that allows the slag to exit the pin. How about welding a large nut to the pin and using a hollow ram puller. Or some contraption you can stick a bottlejack in to press on. Frozen pins can be very frustrating.

Nige

When using that lance the biggest part of the operation is cutting in a fashion that allows the slag to exit the pin. How about welding a large nut to the pin and using a hollow ram puller.?
The instructions how to work the slag out of the hole are actually in the manual I posted earlier. A lot easier than you might think when you've practiced a bit with the torch. Those torches are handier than a shirt pocket, ours probably gets used at least once a week.

You could probably have the pin half-way lanced out in the time it took you to weld the nut on to it - and the nut would be no guarantee that it would stand up to the force of the hollow ram.

Welder Dave

Looks like the Cat mini torch could be the same as the Mini Caldo torch in post 23 but the Arcair and Broco aren't much bigger. If you can't rent one then it would be good to price out the different torches and rods and their availability.

dieseldog5.9

Cat mini torch on ebay $768, you are probably correct, by the time you play f-around with something that in the end doesnt work, we know this tool will work.

I used a caldo torch years ago, worked good, frozen boom pins on large Case loader that lived in the salt pile.

Blocker in MS

on a different thread involving @crane operator and @Randy88 , Randy88 described making his own oxygen lance using 1/8" black pipe, ball valve, couplers, etc and hooking it up to an oxygen tank. He then used an oxy torch to ignite the end of the 1/8" pipe and off he went, burning out a seized pin.

The thread was in the trailers section about a seized pin in a trailer neck than Crane Operator was working on. Another thread with great discussion.

Oxygen lances are no trouble to make. Never done, but been around several guys who have very effectively. I was talking about making most of an exothermic cutting rig. The handles on some are only pressure washer triggers-one brand is only that. All you would need is the regulator and oxygen hose screwed in one end and you would of course have to buy or make the collets and buy the rods.