• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seeking information on Cat 3208 engine

Old Doug

I worked on and ran several that were in tractors back then i saw 2 pickups that had them. I wanted one bad for a one ton i had but never got one.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I worked on and ran several that were in tractors back then i saw 2 pickups that had them. I wanted one bad for a one ton i had but never got one.
You'd sure need a whole lot more front suspension. I've read the weight, I can't remember, but it is a lot!

Old Doug

You'd sure need a whole lot more front suspension. I've read the weight, I can't remember, but it is a lot!
I had it planned to use a 1 1/2 ton front axle and drill it for ton wheels. I saw in a magizine in the early 80s a guy bought a brand new Blazer 2WD he lenghtened it made a 6x6 with a 3208 but the real crasy part was he used a Firestone/ford f150 front axle.

dieseldog5.9

I showed up on the jobsite for an L8000, 3208 engine wouldnt start so owner pulled some of the plungers out of the injection pump hoping to find the problem, needless to say he did not find the problem, but he couldn't get the plungers back in so he called me.

Cmark

I’ve re-powered boats with 3208’s after removing Detroits 8.2’s. Maybe not the best option but lots of times nothing else will fit except another short v8.

I think the 3208 makes for a decent seine boat engine. I’ve worked on them after recover from Davy Jones locker. Flush the crank case with diesel a couple times, add clean lube & filters, prime the fuel system and back to fishing.

Funnily enough, maybe 10 years ago I had a customer with a couple of 3208 powered fishing boats. He had recently got into the charter-fishing business, catering to the tourist trade. Unfortunately, during inclement weather the smoke from the mighty V8s was contributing to the passengers' discomfort and causing some of the more fragile landlubbers to puke over the side, thus spoiling their excursion.

We pulled out the 3208s, installed C7s and the the patrons' gastric upset was somewhat mitigated. The undertaking wasn't a great success in other areas, but that's a story for another day......

Last edited:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
All these lame engines from that era had their own unique smell. I'm thinking of the 3208, 8.2, 6.9 IH, 9.0 IH. You get a bunch of them congregated in one area on a cold morning, it made you question your decisions in life.

jett01

All these lame engines from that era had their own unique smell. I'm thinking of the 3208, 8.2, 6.9 IH, 9.0 IH. You get a bunch of them congregated in one area on a cold morning, it made you question your decisions in life.
Yes I used to own a 6.9 IH in a F250 Ford . I had to use starting fluid in the summer to start it . I now own a deleted powerstroke Ford that smokes like a heathen and the smell of raw diesel is just everywhere especially in colder temps . As for the 3208 yes she has her own distinctive smell too . Enjoy the day guys and gals ....Valentine’s Day

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Apparently back in the 70s there were lots of 3208-powered gensets on platforms in the North Sea offshore oil industry. The story was that when a genset wore out a welder would be called to cut round the floor under the set and drop the whole shooting match into the sea. Weld a plate over the hole, install a brand-new set, and happy daze - until the next time.

jett01

Apparently back in the 70s there were lots of 3208-powered gensets on platforms in the North Sea offshore oil industry. The story was that when a genset wore out a welder would be called to cut round the floor under the set and drop the whole shooting match into the sea. Weld a plate over the hole, install a brand-new set, and happy daze - until the next time.
That story there just goes to prove that the dirty old 3208 was a pretty decent workhorse in its day

renovator

I drove for a construction company in the early 80s that had a large fleet of Ford LN 8000s with 3208s. They were quite a step up from the Ford L 800s with the 475 gassers. They started easily in any weather, did a lot better on fuel, and made lots of smoke. The engines lasted longer than the rear ends as the trucks were routinely loaded with 40,000 lbs. The rear axle housings would bend and break. Then they got some Binders with DT 466s and they left the Fords and little Cats in the dust. Not long after that, the company went out of business.