• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seat Belt attachment on Cat 966C

swampdog

Can anyone tell me where the seatbelt anchors attach on a Cat 966C? The machine has no seatbelt and I would like to install one.

On this machine, the batteries are located under the seat. A fairly large hinged metal structure on which the seat is mounted flips forward for access to the batteries. A spring loaded latch holds the entire assembly in place when the seat is down in the operating position.

Does the seat belt mount to the flip up seat structure, the part that moves when one flips it up? It seems better to mount it to the framework under the flip up part, but I can't see any good way of doing that without having the flip up part interfere with the seat belt when one has to access the battery compartment.

The parts manual doesn't show enough detail to be of much help.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Hate to say it but you have to go to Cat dealer for details as the seatbelt would be classed as a critical safety issue,all fine until some thing goes wrong ,if you can show that you did everything that was "reasonably practicable"you cant be held totally responsible

swampdog

I agree that safety is an issue. I just got the loader and don't feel comfortable doing too much with it without a seatbelt.

We don't have a Cat dealer close by, and based on my past experience they aren't much interested in dealing with guys that aren't spending a lot of money with them.

I'm wondering if someone has a 966C and can look to see where the seat belt attaches. Or maybe someone even has a picture of the attachment point.

Grader4me

Hate to say it but you have to go to Cat dealer for details as the seatbelt would be classed as a critical safety issue,all fine until some thing goes wrong ,if you can show that you did everything that was "reasonably practicable"you cant be held totally responsible

I agree 100% that seat belts should be in all equipment and my hat is off to those that wear the belt. I'm just curious about the legal aspect of older machinery that have no seat belt. For example, an operator got hurt due to roll over. I guess my point is if the machine wasn't required to have a seat belt when manufactured what could they do? I'm not sure if swampdogs loader falls into this category as I don't know how old it is.

What about the guy who decides to install a seat belt on his own. Would there not have to be a certain standard to be followed? For example anchor points etc. Would it have to be inspected and certified?
I would feel the same about having a piece of machinery with no seat belt. Although my track record isn't that great with wearing one, it was there when needed.

Last edited:

swampdog

I agree 100% that seat belts should be in all equipment and my hat is off to those that wear the belt. I'm just curious about the legal aspect of older machinery that have no seat belt.

My Cat 966C is a 1979 model, and it originally did come with a seat belt. I suppose it might have been damaged at some point or got in the way, so the former owner removed it.

I came across this interesting record of a prosecution in Iowa against a small gravel pit operator (Jeppesen) who did not have a working seat belt in his loader. No accident occurred, but the officials went after him for that and many other safety items. This is a US case, and I'm not sure how strict the Canadian authorities are, especially when it comes to prevention of accidents.

If you have time, read through this prosecution record at

http://www.fmshrc.gov/decisions/alj/ct2006-184.htm

Grader4me

My Cat 966C is a 1979 model, and it originally did come with a seat belt. I suppose it might have been damaged at some point or got in the way, so the former owner removed it.

I came across this interesting record of a prosecution in Iowa against a small gravel pit operator (Jeppesen) who did not have a working seat belt in his loader. No accident occurred, but the officials went after him for that and many other safety items. This is a US case, and I'm not sure how strict the Canadian authorities are, especially when it comes to prevention of accidents.

If you have time, read through this prosecution record at

http://www.fmshrc.gov/decisions/alj/ct2006-184.htm

Interesting read, man he gave them some grief for sure. I think that basically the same rules follow for Canada. I believe that any piece of equipment 3 ton and over manufactured after 1970 (not 100% sure of date, it might be 1972) has to be equipped with ROPS and seat belt.
You will have to get one reinstalled in your Loader for it to be legal. I'm not sure if you would need it inspected and certified. Probaby wouldn't be to hard to find out though.

Last edited: