• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Searching for info on the Excavators built by Komatsu Bucyrus,

Austrian

Hello

So that i am not allowed to start up a new thread I thoght this would be the right thread to place my question.

I am searching for infos on the Excavators built by Komatsu Bucyrus, i know that there was an 15ht and a model that was named 20ht. But did they built bigger machines as well, just like machines based on the 30h or 40h track hoes from Bucyrus Erie?

I want to scratchbuild an 1:87 excavator of about 30 or 35tons, and so that i am a Komatsu fan, a Komatsu Bucyrus would be an Interesting project for me.

Greets from Austria!

Andy

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Andy, I moved your post here, to its own thread.

Once you have three posts, you'll be able to start threads of your own.

And, welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums! :drinkup

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Komatsu Bucyrus,

Hello

So that i am not allowed to start up a new thread I thoght this would be the right thread to place my question.

I am searching for infos on the Excavators built by Komatsu Bucyrus,

Andy

Well they say you learn something new every day, and 'Komatsu Bucyrus,'
is a new one on me. :beatsme

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
That's why I just cut and the title from the text of Andy's post. I've never heard of those two names in combination. (But I know there's plenty I don't know.)

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Have you seen the Bucyrus-Erie history book "One-Hundred Booming Years: A History of the Bucyrus-erie Company" by George Anderson? K-B is mentioned several times and there are pics of 22KB's and 20HT's but i don't recall seeing anything above that.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yes there was a Komatsu- bucyrus excavator. Here is the 1:43 version of the 20-HT

Attachments

• Picture 679.jpg
    Picture 679.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,976
  • Picture 680.jpg
    Picture 680.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,763
  • Picture 681.jpg
    Picture 681.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,533

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Ok, Now I can scratch Komatsu-Bucyrus off the list of things I don't know.
Rob can too.... :)

Northart

Komatsu-Bucyrus Erie

The Book " 100 Booming Years " A History of Bucyrus-Erie Company 1880-1980, gives a brief mention about Komatsu-BE, and picture of a Japan BE-20H , with Right Hand Cab. on pages 206-207. 1971 time frame.

" In Japan, Komatsu-Bucyrus K.K. enjoyed another record year with net shipments 73% higher than in 1971. Continued developement and expansion of the Komatsu-Bucyrus line was under way. "

That is all I could find about it in the book.

Attachments

• Talkeetna 057.jpg
    Talkeetna 057.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,459

Austrian

Thank you for the answers

Good Morning

Yes as far as i know the Bucyrus Maschines were built under licence by Komatsu, the first machines were built unchanged even the colours were the same, with the Black-Green Boom, the Yello Upperworks with red edges.

This were the first Komatsu Excavators ever. But I haven't found Informations about bigger machines yet. The 20th might be around 20-25 Metric Tons I think. And I would like to see a machine aboaut 30 to 35 metric tons, but I am not sure, if these class machines were built under Komatsu Bucyrus label?

Greets from rainy Austria!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Austrian! :drinkup

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
The Book " 100 Booming Years " A History of Bucyrus-Erie Company 1880-1980, gives a brief mention about Komatsu-BE, and picture of a Japan BE-20H , with Right Hand Cab. on pages 206-207. 1971 time frame.

" In Japan, Komatsu-Bucyrus K.K. enjoyed another record year with net shipments 73% higher than in 1971. Continued developement and expansion of the Komatsu-Bucyrus line was under way. "

That is all I could find about it in the book.

Here is a right hand cab BE from the 70's (don't know if it was BE/Komatsu, can't remember) converted to a log loader, they attached the 2nd boom and the healing rack to the excavator main boom, as you can see from the size of the log it was loading (those are 60" grapples) they were a horse!!

Attachments

• lets see if we can get it on before he drops it..jpg
    lets see if we can get it on before he drops it..jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,253
  • BE shovel sorting the deck..jpg
    BE shovel sorting the deck..jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,284
  • BE shovel..jpg
    BE shovel..jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,349

Austrian

Hello

@Countryboy thanks!

@ Big Iron

Wow that are huge trees, we us Logloaders based on O&K RH5/MH5 Machines for example:D

People say that american equipment does consum a lot of fuel, so i think this excavator does also drink 50 to 60 Litres an hour?

Greets from Europe!

drag1line

Bucyrus-Erie entered into a License agreement with Komatsu in the late 60's to develop the Komatsu Excavator. This was the normal route for most Japanese manufacturers, example Jumbo for Mitsubishi, which later became Cat, Poclain for Yutani heavy industies, which became Kobelco, and more. Komatsu was to build them ONLY for the Asian market under this license. Bucyrus finally designed for them, the more modern 20 ton unit based upon the US 100 series, but not produced here. Bucyrus did not sell the KB machines in the US.
Komatsu sued BE for restraint of international trade as they could not sell in the US and won the suite in the late 70's. This and other factors spelled the end of BE in construction.
The above machine is the 40 H or 65HL Logger specially designed for the logging industry and around 140,000# in that configuration.

Gavin Phillips

Occupation
office worker
The only thing I can really add to this thread is there was also a 15-H hydraulic excavator model. Also a crawler crane/dragline 22.B - which is pretty much a copy of the Bucyrus Erie-built 22B machine.

Brochures on K-B machines seem to be rare & thus expensive!

Last edited:

drag1line

Gavin,
As you are from the "Old Country" don't forget the RB machines. Rustin Bucyrus and the 150 RH and the B machines that were ID'd by RB logo.

Occupation
Bob cat and crane operator
Hello

Komatsu Bucyrus hydro Excavators several variations

Old version
color yellow/black
15H
20H
There is no reliance.It could not sell.

bulldozer track changed version is **HT
T=bulldozer track
Efficiency improvement,It could sell well.
color Yellow/green

10HT
12HT
15HT
20HT

15H color yellow/black
http://www55.tok2.com/home2/history/pdf/15h.pdf

12HT-2,color yellow/green
http://www55.tok2.com/home2/history/pdf/12ht.pdf

Komatsu Bucyrus hydro Excavators photo.
http://www55.tok2.com/home2/history/kb.html

Thank you

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Heres an RB Logo for You

Gavin,
As you are from the "Old Country" don't forget the RB machines. Rustin Bucyrus and the 150 RH and the B machines that were ID'd by RB logo.

Not what your talking about but anyway. :rolleyes: Here's an RB Logo for You.

Attachments

• Picture 569.jpg
    Picture 569.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 792
  • Picture 573.jpg
    Picture 573.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 678
  • Picture 575.jpg
    Picture 575.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 679

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
My Old Priestman

Nice pic Roddy! Looks like a Priestman.

It is. It's a later model one built by RB Industries. I don't have enough stuff to work on so I bought another project. :rolleyes:

I have wanted one for a while and finally got my chance. Its unreal how well built these things are. A few minor issues and i'll be ready to go.

An old Priestman Mechanic would be like a Gold Mine right now.:D

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Wow, that's some really good brochures posted by Komatsu Bucyrus. I did not know that Bucyrus was the developer of the Komatsu excavator. I was looking at the brochure of the 15H that K-B posted and if that ain't a B-E crane track pad then I've never seen one! I don't know much about the older hydro excavators and I was wondering about the control levers. The brochure of the 15H has a pic of two levers for working two of the excavator functions, and the handles of the two levers allowed a "twist of the wrist" to activate the other two excavator functions. Was this common among older hydro ex's, or was it unique to the K B design? I wonder why B-E didn't use their joystick controls, like on the 30B crane, to control the excavator functions on the K B? :beatsme

Last edited: