• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sealing hydraulic tank hatch

LN Pipeline

Any recommendations on what sealant a person should use to seal the top of a hydraulic tank?

I recently opened up a tank to clean it and the strainer and resealed with high temp Permatex, just cause I had some in the shop. Will hydraulic oil, specifically AW-32, break this stuff down?

The fluid I drained out looked like ATF. It appears to have been previously sealed with clear silicone.

It never really crossed my mind till I ordered some nitrile rubber for a diesel tank. I started wondering if hydraulic oil will have an adverse reaction with some sealants.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yes it will, need to try to avoid Silicones around hydraulic systems, shat gets into EVERY thing. Use a good gasket and gasket adhesive to hold it in place is about all I will do anymore.