• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seal Quench Fluid

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
Is that a Canadian thing?

Got a new water pump. Belt driven with an oil filled bearing housing for the impeller shaft. The spec is for the bearings to run in VS46 hydraulic fluid. There is an additional shipping tag that says that seal quench fluid must be used before starting the pump.

The bearing housing for impeller shaft would have a seal at both ends of it - pulley end, and the pump end. And a 3rd seal in the actual pump housing.

I suppose seal quench fluid is the oil for the bearings. But why the weird terminology?

For the record, the pump did ship from our northern neighbor.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I would think "seal quench fluid" would be whatever is to be pumped through the pump? Sounds like an Asian translation. Ever try to understand a Korean or Japanese service manual?

TVA

I would think "seal quench fluid" would be whatever is to be pumped through the pump? Sounds like an Asian translation. Ever try to understand a Korean or Japanese service manual?
Good recipe for wrecking your brain!!!

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
I would think "seal quench fluid" would be whatever is to be pumped through the pump?

My 1st thought also. I googled it that day, and there are devices/systems for such a purpose. But where rather vague as related to our specific pump.

Properly design and monitor quench systems for optimum seal reliability and to ensure that moisture does not enter the bearing housing. The proper function of seal quench systems is to remove solid particles from the lower seal face to prevent premature seal wear.

The term ‘quench’ originally came from the use of steam to buffer the outer seal chamber, between the seal and throttle brushing, to dilute the hydrocarbon fluid leaking from the seal to a safe non-flammable level. Today (2010) this practice is not acceptable and dual seals are required to be used for all hydrocarbon services.

When a quench is used today (2010) either steam (where solid hydrocarbon particles can form) or water (where water soluble particles can form) are used. It is solely for the purpose of removing solid particles from the lower seal face. Both of these alternatives expose the bearing housing to entrance of water vapor which will impact bearing reliability and MTBFs.

https://www.turbomachinerymag.com/how-to-design-and-monitor-quench-systems-for-seals/

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
What is the intended purpose for your pump? Plain water? The gist of the seal quench link is that is for hot liquid use, IE steam condensate, etc.

Hot water/slag slurry. Maybe 170f. We use the water to carry away slag from our cupola. The pump is rated for 2"+ solids, but typically only sees 1/4 - 1/2"

You may be familiar, but there is a mechanical seal in the pump housing, a short section of shaft open to atmosphere, and then the bearing housing/transmission - whatever you want to call it. Which has a seal on each end. It just came in Friday, and I didn't look over the parts book yet, but I assume the bearing housing just has lip seals.

excavator

I call it Jinglish. There are words in some of the older Kobelco manuals that don't appear anywhere else.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I get it now, there should be a fitting above and below the seal area on the pump to allow the seal to be flushed with a small flow of cooling/cleaning water.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I call it Jinglish. There are words in some of the older Kobelco manuals that don't appear anywhere else.
Yeah, exactly. I recall a Hyundai loader manual that referred to a "suicide spring" in the fuel pump. Huh? I never did figure that one out.

Reactions: DB2

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance
I get it now, there should be a fitting above and below the seal area on the pump to allow the seal to be flushed with a small flow of cooling/cleaning water.

I sure hope not.

The strange thing about jinglish is that this tag was neatly hand written.

TVA

But Koreans had it right when they called excavator bypass switch - “prolix” switch! I had to look up what “prolix” means! That’s about how that excavator will work when you switch it ON!

Steve Bowman

Occupation
Maintenance

Bingo!

We found the fitting for the fresh water connection.

Thanks