• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Screaming Jimmy

Serv

I've been looking at a few terex scrapers to buy for my work. I got pics of one of the ts24's that's a single engine (first two pics) and an older ts14 twin engine (last three pics). The ts14 pictured has the rops removed and off to the side. Evidently that was done for transport. The guy says he'll take 6 grand for the 14 and it's in running and working condition and has radial rubber on three and a high tread bias on the fourth tire. Tires are 29.5x25 BTW. Looks like a great project in my opinion. What do you guys think about the deal on the 14? Are they decent machines in this older style?

There are also 2 ts24 twin engine scrapers on the trading block that I didn't get pics of. Those ts24's are monsters in person. One of his twin engine ones has much larger tires than the rest of them making it look that much larger. I'll get pics of the twins next time I'm out that way. I think they can be had for around 20k dollars or so each.

Attachments

• IMAGE_365.jpg
    IMAGE_365.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,257
  • IMAGE_366.jpg
    IMAGE_366.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,163
  • IMAGE_430.jpg
    IMAGE_430.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,148
  • IMAGE_427.jpg
    IMAGE_427.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,238
  • IMAGE_428.jpg
    IMAGE_428.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,208

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Serv, You might not believe this, but i think I've seen that TS14 when I visited my friend Claney, who lives in Amarillo, last year. We visited a firend of his who had a TS14 on one of his farms. He said a pump was out in the rear, so the rear trans wouldn't push. I think we were about an hour to an hour and a half west of Amarillo. Sure looks like the same machine!
If there was a bunch of other tractors and machinery parked nearby, I''ll bet thats it!
Parked in a field half buried in weeds? Barn/shed nearby, other old iron parked around?
Rear exhaust off? Looked like it had been there awhile?

If this newer scraper in your first 2 pics, has a single engine, it's an S24. May also have been a
TS24 converted to an S24. That's not unheard of. Some folks don't feel the second engine is worth the expense.
S=single engine TS=twin engine.
If you can check out the TS14 and run it around, see how it functions, the price doesn't sound too bad. I know of a few parts sources, should you make the deal. Be careful.
alan627b

Last edited:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Well, Serv, either we were west on 40, or south on 85.:beatsme!
I don't pay that close of attention when I'm not driving!
Either way, I wasn't that far away.
Who knew!
alan627b

Oops, looked at a better map, I was further away than I thought!
There is LOT of Texas! Please completely disregard post 63! LOL!

Last edited:

Serv

Thanks for the info alan! Anyway, this ts14 is around the corner of hwy16 and 83 south down in Zapata, TX by the Falcon Dam. It's in the middle of a friend of a friend's ranch. He bought it 5 years ago for the purpose of building 3 tanks then he parked it when he was done. The only thing that kinda worries me about it is he didn't have the exhaust pipes covered for 3 years. we don't get much rain down here so that might not be a huge deal.

I sure would be interested in hearing more about your buddy's machine though (or anything else you might know of). I need to buy some more open bowl scrapers pretty quick as I started to use them for loading and transporting my tire shreds in place of the walking floor and they fill up pretty quick. Not to mention I'm opening up a second reclamation pit about 200 miles away from me and will be needing some for that very soon.

Yeah, the s24 in the pics is single engine and the guy owns 2 ts24's that I checked out the other day. What's with the reservoir in the back of the s24? at first glance I thought it was an engine but when I saw his ts24's I realized that one was a single engine.

What other kind of machine would you recommend? you can pm me if you'd like to avoid hijacking here. I see there are about ten 657's for sale on machinerytrader for 50k each in california. I love the capacity of those because bigger is definitely better in this case.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Hi Serv. I sent a message to my friend Claney, just to see if that machine was the same one, although I doubt it is. I'll let you know.
It's hard to recommend a scraper, until I know what you have in mind to do with it, and what kind of yardage you have to move.
If bigger is better, you could probably get a smoking deal on 657's, since the market is soft and California contractors are facing some stiff emissions standards. They either have to buy newer machines or spend some serious coin to put newer model engines in those old 657's. Shipping them from CA to Texas would probably cost some serious money! You need a BIG lowboy with lots of axles, or break them down then re-assemble them. And I'd imagine a machine that big will use a lot of fuel in a typical shift.
Scrapers in the 14-20 yard class, like a cat 621/627B or TS14, or moving up to the 26-30 yard class, like the cat 631/637 or S24/TS24, would probably be a better bet.
If you can use an elevating scraper, you'd be after the Cat 623 or 633. I'm not sure what the Terex equal is.
I'd think about standardizing on one brand, it would make parts inventory easier.
Cat has good parts availability even on older models, and a great dealer network. But then again, Terex scrapers use either Detroit Diesels or Cummins engines depending on age, and Allison automatics. I suppose it depends on where you are how good the product support is.
I tend to lean towards Cat, that's what I have experience with. Others may cheerlead for Euclid/Terex. I think you could probably do OK with either, just check them out very carefully.
You can check out what they sell for on Machinerytrader.com
As far as the other brands, IH(junk), Allis Chalmers or Fiat Allis, or Clark/Michigan scrapers, I think I'd steer clear of any of them, especially the larger models, because I don't think they have good product support anymore. You don't want an orphan for a production machine.

My vote would be
Twin engines, if they are going to load themselves. Push pull a plus.
1) Cat 621/627 B model, still decent parts availability, not as complicated as the later models. Less electronics. If you were tempted to get an A model, at least get a late serial number one with the cushion hitch, unless haul speed isn't important. 15S series on the B, all the better improvements.Try to get ones with the bigger 33.25X29 tires, over the 29.5X29, superior in most situations, imperative in mud. Might not be a biggee in Texas! Plus, they ride better with the taller rubber.
2) Terex TS14 or S24/TS24, preferably a B model like you pictured. The older models of those are really getting up there in age nowadays. If you can get a bunch cheap, pick the best to use and have a couple around to use for parts. The only big faults I've heard about these is, air shifted (plastic lines to break) no power down on the ejector, they have a hydraulic lift but still have a cable link. Deafness due to those 2 stroke Detroits!
) Maybe some more 290M or 830B's, they can be used for other things when not pulling scrapers. If you can find them close.
Keep me informed, I'd like to hear how it turns out.

The S24 you pictured, with the wierd tank on the back...I'll bet it used to be a twin engine, had it removed, and they mounted the fuel tank back there.Maybe an extra or larger one. A guy in Kansas City has a fleet of S24B's and converted TS24B's, and they did the same thing. I think they have also put bigger front engines inthem to make up for getting rid of the rear engines. They also use pushcats. If the rear wheels still have planetaries in them, it's been converted.

Alan627b

Last edited:

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Serv, seems like the scraper my friend and I looked at is one of the earlier series TS24's, styled just like the TS14 in your pic.
"The Euc scraper we looked at was in Friona ( 65 miles southwest of Amarillo.) Also it is a TS 24 instead of a 14." quoted from Claneys message to me. I've asked him if it's for sale, hopefully he'll let me know.
Alan
Friona TX http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Friona&state=TX

JDOFMEMI

Serv

The tank on the back of the S-24B is the fuel tank. It is originally a single engine, not a converted twin. The rear wheels are part of the givaway. There would be planetaries if they started out as twins.
On the Terex, the "B" models have down pressure, and the ejectors are a push plate like a Cat, instead of the old folding floor design.

Just thought I would clear that up.

stuart olson

nothin like playin with GM/EMD 2 strokes in locomotives 16V-567 spoolin up at full load is an experience not to forget and one that is getting rarer all the time though they are still making new locomotives with 710 series motors in them and those puppies will make california happy:cool2

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
Hey Serv. If it's tire chips that you are handling, I can offer advice and help. We were involved in tire shredding also. I probably have eqt better suited for your needs also, and for sale, CHEAP.
I don't know how far you are having to transport this very lite-wt material (under 800 lbs/ CY) and its consistency, but I do know that tire chips are extremely light. I've got some older Reynolds and Prime Pull-Pans that have foam-filled tires (NO FLATS!) Lt-wt material can be hauled with Lt-wt eqt.
If you're having to top-load from a walking floor hopper, you don't want a conventional scraper. Too much risk of fire, too small a target for loading, and too much operating expense. I'd use tractor-towed pull pans......... as inexpensive as I could buy 'em. Done it both ways already, cleaning up the old Gibson Tire Site in Atlanta, Tx. I'm sure that you've heard of it!
I'm no longer in the scrap tire business, but have lots of experience to share, and it's free. PM me if you like or open it up to discussion, but anyway you choose, I can help you.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Jolly Green Giant or The Hulk

This'll be my first time on "light green" since 1980 :) A bit of a step up from my 101F in every department :eek:

Attachments

• TS 24.jpg
    TS 24.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 667

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Russ

That is a pretty good looking Green Weenie

How do you like it?

I haven't put my tail in the seat as yet, start on Monday. This machine has been owner operated since '03 (can't you tell) :)
It's too wet up my way, 6" of rain last Sunday on my own job site, so I'm giving this bloke a hand for a few weeks. We're doing earthworks on a natural gas site in the Pilliga Scrub 140k (88 miles) south of home in northern NSW Aust.