• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scanners

greerco

I have a new Snapon Pro link ultra. Im not impressed with it. What do you all use to scan and program for trucks and machinery? Im looking to get a unit that does both trucks and machinery. Also how much did you spend on it ?

Thanks

Wes J

That Snap-on is the same as the Nexiq correct?

I think the only other options are Texa and Bosch. Both will be in the $7-8,000 range. There are some Chinese tools from Launch and Autel that claim to work with HD equipment, but they seem to only support Asian origin equipment.

The only way to really get OE coverage is with an OE tool. But, you might have 6 figures wrapped up in buying all the diagnostic software you want.

I think most shops will have the OE software for the stuff they use the most such as Cummins Insite or Cat ET and then get by with the aftermarket tool for everything else.

The nice thing with cars is that you can buy a J2534 pass through device and then use it with any OE diagnostic software which you can typically "rent" for one or two days at a time for anywhere between $50 and $200. Some companies like Honda even let you do ECM updates for free.