• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scam Warning

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I have a D6 Cat for sale and have advertised it in the local trader paper and online at their site. Last night I received this email:

Name: Jordan Evans
Phone:
Email: evanszq03@gmail.com (Mods, if this is not appropriate please remove this email adress. On a google search of this email adress it led me to a few forums where the same email that I got had been posted along with his email adress)

Question
Hi,Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer of the exactely amount you want to sell it,payment will be made through paypal and i will arrange for the pick up as well. Cheers, Jordan.

I replied that I still have it and when he would need it, and this is the response I got:

Hi thanks for mailing back,i am an oceanographer, i am at sea right
now,i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift and I am glad you
accepted my offer.I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i
dont have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet
banking with it),but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this
is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your
paypal email address to make the payments,and if you dont have a
paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com.i
will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for
the pick up after payments has been sorted.

I didn't pick up that this was a scam until after I sent him my paypal email adress and I got suspicious... :Banghead

So don't be stupid like I was if you see something like this!!! I've reported it to the RCMP but I have doubts as to whether or not I'll ever hear about any outcome...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
(Mods, if this is not appropriate please remove this email adress. On a google search of this email adress it led me to a few forums where the same email that I got had been posted along with his email adress)

Forum rules specify that you're not to post anybody's email address but your own, but that's to protect the other person. In this case, I think we can make an exception.

nickbowers

i get this all the time in Australia, but they say they work for the australian navy and that they are out at sea.
He then sends you a email looking like its from paypal with links to his own paypal looking site where you login to check the money is there(You thinking it is paypal.com) and then he has your paypal username and password.
He then tells you he needs a shipping agent to pick up the unit, and that the payment to the agent needs to be done by western union so he cant do it. So you have to send $500US to this agent.

So he has a double dip, having your paypal username and password and then the $500USD, most people would stop at logging into his site as it is sus but he doesnt care he can still get your money.
It has been going around for about a year in Australia, it is comletly fake.
Nick

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

eRay

Plenty of scammers out there. I got an email from someone wanting to buy my backhoe off eBay. He wanted to have it picked up in 2 weeks as he is in Mexico. He wanted to pay for it at time of pickup with travelers checks. When I told him I would need payment by bank wire or cash, he lost interest. I don't really need the backhoe any longer but I need it more than a box full of counterfeit travelers checks. If you don't know the person you are dealing with bank wire transfer is the only way to go.

JDOFMEMI

Ditto on that. Also watch out for certified checks or cashiers checks. There are many bogus ones out there. They look legit, and even pass first inspection at the bank. Problem is, it goes to the clearing house, and they find out it is bogus. The clearing house sends it back to your bank, who then takes the money back out of your account. In the few days all this takes, the crook is long gone with your item.

Cash or wire transfer, and if it is cash, take the buyer with the cash to your bank to verify it is not counterfeit.

Hendrik

Yeah ya gotta be careful, the web is full of scammers and the reason they exist is because people fall for their scams.
This is particularly prevalent in the car market.
If you're going to use paypal, go through the paypal website, DO NOT follow links from emails. This also applies to banks. If you're going to be using paypal, learn how it works, so if someone asks you to do something that is out of the ordinary you can protect youreself.
Another favourite is the second chance offers from ebay sellers, there again if you get a second chance offer, go through the ebay website to make contact with the seller.
Once again do not follow links from emails and assume they are all scams until proven otherwise.
I would also advise that if you are approached by a buyer willing to pay your price without wanting to check the machine out, that this buyer is a scammer.
Would you buy a machine sight unseen and just agree to pay what the seller wants?
One of the classic old school scams is the large amount of money in a foreign land, that just needs a few thousand dollars from you, in order to get the money out of the country and then you'll get a slice of that money.
The sad part about this, is that people fall for it.
Just the other day I got an email from a supposed soldier in Iraq who needs some money, so he can get a large quantity of Saddams hidden gold out of Iraq. This is a good one because it is semi plausible (remember the movie "Three Kings") plus there is the romance of gold, smuggling and a bit of cloak and dagger stuff.

Feodor

Scam..

There are always new ways in which scammers will try to get to your money so you can never be to sure. The best way to pay for something is using L/C or garantee when you buy something from abroad. If yuo need to get payed T/T advance bank wire is the best way but even then you can get scammed because scammers have hacked bank accounts which they use.

I plan on buying CAT parts from the US anyone can suggest some reliable companies which are located on the east coast?

Thanks in advance,

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
I have a D6 Cat for sale and have advertised it in the local trader paper and online at their site. Last night I received this email:

Name: Jordan Evans
Phone:
Email: evanszq03@gmail.com (Mods, if this is not appropriate please remove this email adress. On a google search of this email adress it led me to a few forums where the same email that I got had been posted along with his email adress)

Question
Hi,Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer of the exactely amount you want to sell it,payment will be made through paypal and i will arrange for the pick up as well. Cheers, Jordan.

I replied that I still have it and when he would need it, and this is the response I got:

Hi thanks for mailing back,i am an oceanographer, i am at sea right
now,i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift and I am glad you
accepted my offer.I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i
dont have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet
banking with it),but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this
is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your
paypal email address to make the payments,and if you dont have a
paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com.i
will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for
the pick up after payments has been sorted.

I didn't pick up that this was a scam until after I sent him my paypal email adress and I got suspicious... :Banghead

So don't be stupid like I was if you see something like this!!! I've reported it to the RCMP but I have doubts as to whether or not I'll ever hear about any outcome...

AS I recall I think you had to verify your paypal account with your bank account routing numbers in order to establish the "link" between the two. and then I think you could add additional forms of payment afterwards IE credit cards and etc. If I remember right they would depdosit a token amount of money (paypal) into your account and as soon as that showed up on your bank statement or some such thing then you could finalize your account registration.

yamaman

Another thing to note on these Nigerian fraudsters, English is their second language. The fact that a oceanographer (you would guess with some serious schooling under his belt) couldn't capatilise his i's would have sent me running the other way.

I hope you've come away unscathed from this? Damned bludgers, ought to be shot!

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
I'm wondering what the RCMP have to do with anything? I doubt the Feds here would take time out for it but the RCMP...well.....last I saw they still wear kilts. (skirts)

Usually scams like that are easy to spot, the sending email address and content. Most of them that aren't from english speaking countries tend to use poor diction and text.

An oceanographer that is giving his son a gift of a used bulldozer?

LMFAOOOOOO That dude needs a slap for even trying to pass that off.

alco

I'm wondering what the RCMP have to do with anything? I doubt the Feds here would take time out for it but the RCMP...well.....last I saw they still wear kilts. (skirts)

You might want to figure out what you're talking about before you start posting something. The RCMP do not wear kilts...only the pipe and drum band do.

milling_drum

Occupation
Or what I'm typing about, right? Yes sir my literacy skills need some work, theres (oops) no denying that.

And thank you for pointing out the RCMP are most certainly a force to be reckoned with AND a highly credible agency.

I was wondering what the RCMP can actually do about internet policing, there sure isn't much they do down here with it when it comes to such scams.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
You know, there's a whole sport, so to speak, called "spambaiting", wherin you lead them along just to see how annoyed you can make them.

Here, I'll Google that for you--scambaiting stories

:D

On edit:

I was wondering what the RCMP can actually do about internet policing, there sure isn't much they do down here with it when it comes to such scams.

On at least one of those sites, it's pointed out that local law enforcement often isn't interested, because there's so much work involved in tracking down and prosecuting these guys, and such little chance of success, that resources are better used elsewhere.

Last edited:

milling_drum

Occupation
It would be nice if an IP address could be gotten but they usually use internet cafes over there. Not being a rich society the common folk do not have internet in the house as we are accustomed too.

Back in the day I'd ping the hell out of whatever IP I could get off the sender until they realized what a pest somebody else can be who isn't interested in stealing peoples money.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
AS I recall I think you had to verify your paypal account with your bank account routing numbers in order to establish the "link" between the two. and then I think you could add additional forms of payment afterwards IE credit cards and etc. If I remember right they would depdosit a token amount of money (paypal) into your account and as soon as that showed up on your bank statement or some such thing then you could finalize your account registration.

Got a PM from someone wondering as to why it would make a difference if he had internet banking or not, look at it this way if indeed he was at sea it is a very poor chance that he would be banking without internet banking, also in order to set up a paypal account to use online he had to have the Link established, most often this is done one of three ways, internet banking account, phone or snail mail. And he had to set it up with his bank account first. My point being is that more than likely he had internet banking already (even if he wasn't a fraud) and could have wired the money directly to you.

Feodor

bank wire...

Plenty of scammers out there. I got an email from someone wanting to buy my backhoe off eBay. He wanted to have it picked up in 2 weeks as he is in Mexico. He wanted to pay for it at time of pickup with travelers checks. When I told him I would need payment by bank wire or cash, he lost interest. I don't really need the backhoe any longer but I need it more than a box full of counterfeit travelers checks. If you don't know the person you are dealing with bank wire transfer is the only way to go.

As I mentioned bank wire is a safe way of receiving payments but you should also check which bank account it is and where the money is coming from. You may have trouble after sometime because there are a lot of hacked bank accounts and payments from get transfered everyday.

Are you able to provide with some reliable companies from TN which can supply CAT parts?

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Well he's trying it again, except this time his name is Robert Hardy and he's an engineer working on an oil rig, but again buying it for his son... I'm going to have a bit of fun with this guy this time like the scam baiters do, we'll see how long I can string him along... He wastes my time, I'll waste his...