• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

satellite phones

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
Cell coverage isn't all that great around here and I think I'm missing too many calls from potential customers. I think they call and when no one answers, they move to the next number in line. Anyone use a satellite phone and what do you think of them? The rep from Global Star will be calling on Monday, but I'd like to know what users really think of them. The phones are expensive, but I can get 500 minutes a month for $50/month on a 1 year contract. Some of the phones also have the ability to utilize the cellular network if there's a strong enough signal.

tylermckee

What are the advantages of a satelite phone compared to a normal cell phone. besides the ability to use it in very remote places, which shouldnt really matter to most of us anyways.

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
my boos just bought a sat phone.he has a house on banebridge island,and does alot of travelling.wanted us to be able to call when we needed to.i'll ask him who he uses,and what he thinks.

Alexander Rus

Hi everybody! 5 years I have to use these phones(stationary and mobile) and my reccomendations are following:
a)before purchasing check the area coverage of your potential provider. Not all phones are working 600km above of Polar circuit for example. to have communication overthere we are using satelite dishes for internet and VOIP.
b)Mob sat phones are working good only when you are outside and not moving fast.
to use it inside you will need external aerial.

and finally, mob comunication here cost is $1=1minute! i glad that your price 10 times cheaper:)

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
when in Africa we used the inmarsat system (still have the phone) it was the only comunications we had with the outside world and worked great. However you had to stop and set it up and aim the antena for it to work. If you want to be mobil then the globalstar or others in the low orbit sats. will work ok for you. However they will drop calls when switching sats and you still have to see a satelite for it to work (there are a lot more low orbit sats than high orbit) The inmarsat is the same as used by the marine telephones and use's 4 high orbit sats and both offer all the bells and whistle's (voice mail, internet, ect.)
If you don't mind stopping and setting up the inmarsat is a better system, if you need to be on the move the Globalstar or simular will do just fine.

matco311

Cell Phones

Dkin do you have Sprint or Nextel as your carrier? I am a Business account manager for Sprint and I have a solution for you if this applies.Please reply.

acct1mgmt01@sprintpcs.com

Anyone else with a Sprint Nextel account is welcome to email also to see if I am able to better your services,thank you.

SouthOnBeach

Occupation
jack of all trades
had a satellite pager years ago. thing would go off any where in the USA. Had it out in Maine hiking once. couldn't return a call for 6 hour while I hiked back to the camp that had a phone. I think I was about a days drive away from getting cell phone service. From what I'v heard about the phone you need a claer view of the sky for it to get a signal. They they work great. How far away are you from normal cell service? If you're not that far away from it working or its spotty you might want to consider a cell repeater booster.

surfer-joe

Last I knew these systems were expensive to use, much more so than standard cell phones. If you have to have service though, be sure to check one out for it's service area coverage. My boss in California got one so he could stay in touch whilst hunting polar bears in the high Artic. He was a mad SOB when he got there and the derned thing couldn't get a signal. It cost him over 4 thousand bucks to find that out. I'm sure he took it out of the salesman's hide when he got back. The other drawbacks apply as mentioned by others, do you really want to go to all that trouble?

icex

You can also get a booster kit for your vehicle. Something to look into.. it'll cost between $100-$300 for one. Amplifier (booster), antenna, connectors, cell phone connector, cradle (optional)..