• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Satellite Internet

porcupine73

Occupation
Engineer
I was in a similar situation, cable and DSL are not available at my home. I tried wildblue and hughes but the latency was just too much for efficient use in certain applications such as remote desktop. Look into cellular based broadband. For about the same price I was paying for wildblue, I got cellular broadband which has a great signal at my home and gives somewhere around 1000kbps down and 400kbps up (with a 5GB transfer limit per month). Plus it works on any modern Windows pc with a usb cable that has activesync installed so I can use it on my home pc, laptop, etc. Most cellular carries have these plans available; I just went with Sprint because they were the only ones that had a tower close enough to my home to have a good signal. And at the time I got it a few years back they were the only ones to have it in my area with reasonable speeds; the others in my area were more like modem dialup speeds.

CinOK

We use alltell now verizon broadband we use a cradlepoint router with it. We run 4 laptops off one card not as fast as cable dsl but it works. If we got to town we take the usb card with use and its real fast.

Iron Horse

This scattered cloud in the West of my property was enough to stop my Satellite connection this morning . They all tell lies !!!!

Attachments

• Clouds.jpg
    Clouds.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 119

Grader4me

Really? There must be something wrong somewhere. Mine slowed down one day last week, but we had heavy wet snow that covered my dish. Next day it was fine again. Rain, overcast skys, etc. has never been a problem. My signal runs at 196 out of a possible 200 at most times. When it was covered with snow it was at 46 but it still worked..awful slow though...

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Iron Horse,
Either your dish isn't pointed correctly (which would make it flaky all the time) or there was a problem at the Network Operation Center. Weather at the NOC messes with the connectivity just as the weather at your location does. There are problems with the satellites, routers and all manner of equipment on my system that makes it go out at random times, but that amount of cloud shouldn't matter.