• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

sargent scout dragline

29twincity

Occupation
retired
I am trying to find any information on this sargent scout dragline. Any help will be appreciated. Kenny

Attachments

• fall 06 014.jpg
    fall 06 014.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,822

rayman

Twincity, I knew of one of those machines in New Zealand in the 1950's.It had been left behind after WW2, prob. ex US Army. It was known as a "Speeder center drive" so must have been a product of "Speeder shovel Co before they joined up with "Linkbelt". From memory it had a 4 cylinder "McCormick-Deering" engine. The trackgear was very poor but the rest was good. I didn't think I would ever see another, not in this day and age. Grab it, its worth preserving.

29twincity

Occupation
retired
I am trying to find any information on this sargent scout dragline. Any help will be appreciated. Kenny

Ryman: thanks for your reply. The Sargent scout belonged to a good friend who passed some time back. His estate is in a mess. His son would like to show hos collection but his wife has dementia and won't let him have any of it. It does have the IH four cylinder engine. Traveling it is a two man process. He made a drag bucket for it and got it operational for shows at hos place. Not sure what will happen with it but hopefully it will be preserved. Neat little deadline. Thanks for your response. Kenny

rayman

Kenny, I think the engine in the one I worked on was either a TD35 or TD40.hand crank job, petrol start then change over to diesel. It was used in a log dump, just stacking logs as the trucks unloaded.If the tracks were adjusted up to stop the sprocket jumping then they would bind and stall the engine, as you can see there is an adjustable idler on each end of the frame.It was generally pushed around the yard with a D4 or some suchlike.
I think the top works were universal in the layout as regards controls. The colour was a muddy orange as you can see on the trackframe there. Altogether a rare machine and well worth restoring. I have driven and worked on both that type and later "Link-Belt Speeder" cable machines. They are now "Sumitomo" from the land of the rising sun.
regards ray

29twincity

Occupation
retired
Yours had a different engine than this one. I have a 12-20 McCormick Dearing farm tractor from 1929 and it appears to be the same engine. Start on gas, petrol, warm it up turn on kerosene, or tractor fuel as they called it back then but be sure and switch to gas before shutdown. It seems to me that when moving you had to pull a lever to disengage the track to tern. One person to operate, one to steer. Cute little deadline.