• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

sandy

Maola

what do ye (wise men ) think of buying a excavator that was damaged in sandy damaged being water damaged excavator has not being started or worked on just left sitting ????? what amount of $$$$ could be spent on repairs ??

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What kind of trackhoe and how much $$? The age would be significant factor as well, the more electronics the more potential damage done. Personally unless it was offered at darn near scrap value, I would be skeptical of it. Salt/brackish water plays hell on machinery when it's submerged.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Here are the 308D's on machinery trader for sale retail - http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...mdlx=exact&bcatid=4&Pref=0&scf=true&HDROR=asc

Swing boom version - http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...Manu=CATERPILLAR&Mdltxt=308D+CR+SB&mdlx=exact

It depends on the extent of the water damage. Is there any way to ascertain how much water damage it actually had? Was the cab covered, just the undercarriage, engine compartment, etc...:beatsme

I rented a 308 for the job I am currently on. The machine impressed me in what it could do, it lifted and set a 4x4 precast knockout box.

Maola

they are a good excavator no way to know how much water it got would it be just eletric you would have to replace or engine ,pumps,
??

pjflyer

:popcorn imho, it would take a serious inspection on anything that holds fluid or has wires to assess what has been affected. Not to mention, if submerged, has it been attempted to operate. Could be a can of worms or a really great deal. At the very least worth it's weight in scrap.

joispoi

The people who know the extent of the damage have decided to part ways with the machine and get whatever they can for it. If there were anything minor about the repairs needed, the machine would either already be up and running or it would be disclosed in the auction details in order to increase the confidence of the bidders.

pjflyer

Bravo!! No substitute for experience. We've never learned more about a machine than owning it and working on it. Finding a fix-it-up project comes with a price - always monetary, always laborious, and sometimes it's a bust! The good thing is there are sites like this to provide some education. The more "digging" (excuse the pun) you do, the better off your decision will be.

Scrapper

There has been a lot of equipment damaged by hurricane Sandy coming onto the market lately. I'm getting Emails almost daily listing more equipment coming up for bid from this site. http://salvagesale.assetnation.com/index.cfm/general/Category/Category/construction-equipment

There is a 2010 308D listed on this site, not sure if it is the same one you are looking at or not. http://salvagesale.assetnation.com/index.cfm/general/LotDetail/LotNumber/S49095-0005

I just hate to think what it will be like when some of this equipment is purchased, cobbled back to running condition and resold at one of the big auction yards to unsuspecting purchasers. I think the biggest problem with flood damaged equipment is the wiring which will corrode over time and start giving you all kinds of problems in the future.

Maola

thats it i taught they would be traced by serial no if insurance claim ??????

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Condition -

Per Seller: On October 29, 2012, this unit was damaged as a result of flooding by Hurricane Sandy. Damages cannot be confirmed since a thorough inspection was not performed. There has been no work done to this unit. The unit does NOT start, run or operate in its current condition. Please refer to the attached photos. Please bid accordingly.

With the description, that machine is only worth scrap value. I wouldn't pay any more than that.

dozer12216

Occupation
Currentlly clearing some 50 acres for farmland.
I have rescued a D8H and a excavator from floods. Twice each. it is amazing what you find on units. Both engines got covered with nasty water for several days and then froze after water receeded. I drained all fluids except antifreeze on both. Pulled injectors on one and Detroit 6v53 side covers on other. Had to pull a cast iron oil pan that was really tough. Both starters and alternators were history. The wiring on both and gauges were trashed on both. I would hate to do it on a more modern machine with more required electronics. there is just no end to the wiring issues encountered.
And it has been setting long enough for damage to really get everything.