1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Safety Thoughts From My Accident

Discussion in 'Safety Competition' started by Reuben Frazier, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Reuben Frazier

Reuben Frazier Well-Known Member

This is coming from the bottom of my heart, Sep. 11 2019 I got out of the equipment to check some things and I walked up to the top of the tracks to check things out and I slipped off landing on my left leg in a weird position literally shattering my left femur into 20 plus pieces all by myself. I’m over a mile from the truck and I’d left my phone in the cab thinking I wasn’t going to be gone but for a few seconds to check everything. I woke up some time later next to the equipment from obvious shock and confused, seeing my leg pointed 90 degrees in the wrong direction, I had a decision to make since I didn’t have my phone with me. I could lay thr and hope I didn’t bleed to death before I was thought to be missing and someone find me or pick up my leg and somehow crawl back into the cab. Instincts kicked in and I somehow crawled up the steps and inside the cab calling 911 as I drove to the point they could reach me the entire time my leg and bones crunching and bleeding. I survived obviously but I could have easily perished from a nicked femoral artery so my advice is if your off by yourself to ALWAYS have your phone in your pocket no matter the situation. I’d never thought much about this type of scenario but let my accident be a warning to all of you. It can happen to anyone at anytime no matter how simple the task and how close to home you are, it only takes a second to change you and your family’s life forever!!!
    Over a year later I’m still recovering and still in rough shape but I’m alive and kicking so every day is precious, think 4 steps ahead and always prepare for the worst just in case the horrific happens like it did to me. Id done this a million times and never gave much thought to it but it can happen to anyone at anytime so just keep this in mind.
    If this gets 1 person think about it before they get out to check the equipment I’ll consider it a win. You guys stay safe!!!

2. Ct Farmer

Ct Farmer Senior Member

A perfect reminder that things can change in an instant. One bit of slipped attention or distraction is all it takes. We have been there when we say “oh, just this one time”...

3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Only takes that ONE Little side stepped instance and its gotcha. Been there done that too just not a leg.

Reuben Frazier and kshansen like this.
  4. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Wow! You're damn lucky to be alive.

5. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    WOW. Hope you recovery proceeds decently and you make a full recovery. Great advice. They also say to have a secure way to hold your phone in your vehicle. Many times people have been in a one vehicle accident and could not find where there phone flew to in the melee and in some cases spent hours trapped before found with no means of getting help.

Tarhe Driver, Ct Farmer and DMiller like this.
  6. Reuben Frazier

I forgot to add a pic, here’s my beautiful leg

Attached Files:

DMiller and hosspuller like this.
  7. Tarhe Driver

Tarhe Driver Well-Known Member

Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
    Reuben Frazier, your bravery is awesome. I just hope that should I ever be put in such a position that I know my life is at risk and that only I can assure my life, that I can come up with such bravery to make myself react accordingly. But such would be expected of you, of Scots descent.

Reuben Frazier and DMiller like this.
  8. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    THAT is a LOT of Iron!!

Tarhe Driver likes this.
  9. Reuben Frazier

Pain is momentary, death is forever . I think most guys would do the same under the circumstances, survival instincts kick in.

I will say it took 6 firemen and a “WHOLE BUNCH’ of narcotics to get me out tho

Tarhe Driver and DMiller like this.
  10. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Sometimes the simplest tasks can turn into disaster. Excellent advice to always have your phone handy and also let someone know where you are going to be. If you can only muster a few words like I need help or you're late coming home they can fill in the details of where you are. Glad you survived and hope you have a good recovery. I knew a guy that broke both femurs at the same time in his 60's practicing on an MX bike. He had bad arthritis and had trouble hanging on sometimes. Thankfully he never rides alone. Went on to win a few more championships albite a little slower. He was a 13 time world vet champion. (2nd most world vet championships) He lived for riding and was taken out by pancreatic cancer. Was riding a month before his passing. One of the toughest people I've ever known. Broke his leg in the US and drove all the way back to Canada to get it looked after.

Reuben Frazier and DMiller like this.