• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

SAE Vs. BHL

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I learned on Deere I think they are more efficient, you can take one hand off the control and not have to stop. But it has been a year or so since I have ran one. The first company I worked for had both and I could jump form machine to machine with out losing a beat.

hole_digger

SAE OR CAT BHL John Deere

? Sae or cat boom Right Hand
John Deere Boom on left True?
Were can i get proof ? picture or some thing

MVFD

yes that is correct.

JD - Boom left hand, Stick right hand
Cat - Boom right hand, stick left hand

I personaly like using JD the best and being able to be bailing material or loading trucks and be able to take my right hand of the joystick. far nicer then having to stop the machine every time.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Were can i get proof ? picture or some thing

Yep, it's always nice to be able to reference your sources, even when you are able to pull the info right out of your head. (Which I couldn't--my hands know the difference, but my mind isn't as well educated.)

Here's a source that should know:

http://www.bobcat.com/products/ex/features/glossary.html

"Control patterns (ISO or Standard) — The operating pattern of an excavator's joysticks. There are two predominant joystick patterns on compact excavators. When operating in the ISO pattern, the right-hand joystick controls the boom up/down function and the left-hand joystick controls the arm in/out function. With the "standard" pattern, these two functions are reversed. Bobcat excavators are standard equipped with a control pattern selection feature that allows the operator to choose the preferred control pattern."

hole_digger

I run a 330 cat the control pattern selector shows it is on the BHL which is in jd mode left hand boom. SAE is cat boom on right, by the card in the cab is SAE = standard.
Non standard (BHL) is jd. By the bobcat site standard is jd
? What Is SAE Cat or JD. ISO ?

tylermckee

hole_digger said:
I run a 330 cat the control pattern selector shows it is on the BHL which is in jd mode left hand boom. SAE is cat boom on right, by the card in the cab is SAE = standard.
Non standard (BHL) is jd. By the bobcat site standard is jd
? What Is SAE Cat or JD. ISO ?
When operating in the ISO pattern, the right-hand joystick controls the boom up/down function and the left-hand joystick controls the arm in/out function

sae = jd
iso = cat

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Most people go by Deere or Cat controls.

All I know is I like to have the boom in the right hand and dipper in the left :yup

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
A good operator just needs to get warmed up to something different--not really a big deal.I remember going from a 4 stick control on my 3820IH hoe to a 2 stick on my 510B Deere.The 2' bucket on the Cornbinder was a monsterous half yard-the Deere a quarter yard--after 1 hour my labor foreman told me I was out-producing the Cornbinder.This, after 8 years with those 4 sticks.My Dad was an operating engineer and always told me the boss expected an operator to look like an operator on a new machine real quick or else he'd replace him.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
tuney443 said:
A good operator just needs to get warmed up to something different--not really a big deal.

I can agree with this... we got into a big discussion on how the controls on a skid-steer (Cat SSL, anyhow) are reversed when trying to turn in reverse as compared to a car or a dozer.

We managed to confuse ourselves -- so it really is just trying to get used to whatever control pattern we're running. Easier said than done, of course -- especially for noobs like myself.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Tigerotor77W said:
I can agree with this... we got into a big discussion on how the controls on a skid-steer (Cat SSL, anyhow) are reversed when trying to turn in reverse as compared to a car or a dozer.

We managed to confuse ourselves -- so it really is just trying to get used to whatever control pattern we're running. Easier said than done, of course -- especially for noobs like myself.

I have a habit of turning around to the left when going backwards long distances and using my right hand on the left (steer) stick in the 248...Now, when your looking backwards and using the right hand on the left stick some interesting things happen in owners steep and narrow driveways:eek: :Banghead

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I just remembered a hairy "ALMOST" situation once.It was at IBMs largest site here in Poughkeepsie.My JD hoe was down so I was forced to get something real strange--yeah-a 580 Case for a day to rent.Well,my Dad was project manager on this job and there was this temporary above grade 2' chemical waste pipe.He just finished telling me not to even get close to this pipe as the fallout if broken would result in us being in real DS.Plus 5,000 Beemers leaving the plant immediately.OK,so I'm trying to undo the transport lock on the hoe right over this pipe--it finally releases and that damn thing does a bounce bounce surge thing with the bucket missing that pipe by inches.It definitely would have broken that fiberglass pipe. Can never be too careful.:rolleyes: You know though--getting used to new controls is like making love to a new woman:You all know the basics,but you really have to learn to make adjustments as you go and constantly watch her reaction.:bouncegri