• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S250 or bigger????

BruceJ

Looking at upgrading to S250. Has anyone got any advice/opinions etc. How reliable is Kubota motor??? What about s300 capacity for moving logs???

Thankyou all

Last edited:

BruceJ

S250...any pre purchase advice????

Looking at S250 upgrade and would like to hear do's and donts...good and bad etc???? What to look for??? what common probs??Thanks in advance.

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
well... keep in mind the old adage that a happy customer probably will tell noone but an unhappy customer is sure to tell everyone.

you are asking a lot of questions for which there is probably no answer. it'd be like me asking the same bout a commodore - some people love 'em and some people never will and i reckon i'd never get a decent answer.

and what about the s300 capacity for moving logs? are you asking is it better or what?

i suggest you try using your search engine and see what you find bout the s250 herein, i'm sure there will be plenty. and then come back and ask your pointed questions...

the 250 and 300 share the same engine, the 330 uses a larger engine afaik, i like my 330, it is a good toy with a decent sized bucket on it.

the 250 and 300 are the same machine essentially except for a few counterwieghts.

tick the hiflow box if it is a reasnable option, it is handy if you choose to run the stump grinder for example. the bobcat stump grinder works very nicely if you give it a bit of flow.

as for kubotas, a reasonable brand of engine imho. i've seen the blighters beating away in boats long long past their use by date.

BruceJ

Thanks for your pointers Mouse. Been having a lot of issues with my 863 lately which im sure is giving me a Knee jerk. Once remedied i may even keep her....better the devil you kno(and love) !!!!!????

toomacho

Occupation
High School Teacher
Thanks for your pointers Mouse. Been having a lot of issues with my 863 lately which im sure is giving me a Knee jerk. Once remedied i may even keep her....better the devil you kno(and love) !!!!!????
Bruce:
What's going wrong with the 863?

tacbob

The S250 up have great engines. The latest generation of kubota engines kick the bottom of a deutz. They were a troubled engine a high hrs.

Ryanrb25

totally agree...the V3300 is an awesome motor. We have 3 S250's and 3 S300's. They are basically the same machine apart from the S250 lifting capacity being about 75-100kg less than the S300.

Colorado Digger

we have 2 300's and a 250, and they are real close. this size tractor works great, you can load trucks and run a sweeper or hammer. Also , all or our's have a 2 speed for plowing snow.

Attachments

• 1-20-work 010.jpg
    1-20-work 010.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 1-22-09 work-324 w. francis 040.jpg
    1-22-09 work-324 w. francis 040.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 333

SnakeCreek

Bruce

I was going to buy a S250 until I found a better deal on a new S300 from another dealer. The S300 has 6 more horsepower and can lift 500 more pounds. I have always hear good things about Kubota, but there can be lemons in all brands. I am very happy with the S300 and glad I got it instead of the S250. As far as moving logs the S300 will do everything that the S250 a little easier.

BruceJ

Sorry taken so long to get back!!!

Bruce:
What's going wrong with the 863?

My 863 has done 4500hrs. I have rebuilt the top end(checked bore/sleeves and showed the original hone marks without much degredation.) where these motors seem to fail after so much work/hrs. However, I have just started using the BC much more in my business so its not just a few hrs a week machine now. Just bought a low hr Cat 262B so will see how she travels. May keep 863 for farm duties etc as Cat will prob be out on site most times...

Ryanrb25

I find out two S185's with near 3000H have held up to the test of time very well. Dont show any signs of engine problems what so ever. Still start first pop, still have plenty of poke. We have one S300 with 3000H and it seems very well on par with some of our newer machines with approx 400H. The only problem with it is the mechanical drive on the engine fan is a bit noisy...but other than that it's still an animal of a machine. I've found some of our Brand New 250's have had loose main bucket pins. Where they have been assembled with the hex bolt that runs through the pin to be tightened offset to the locating slot on the pin (if that makes any sence to anyone) Then when the head of the bolt turns slightly, they loosed almost instantaneously. Causing Slack in the bucket pins. If it's not noticed straight away then it can cause damage to the arm. But i've only seen this once or twice. Assemble them right and you'll never have a trouble.