• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

s150 ignition switch

Gwilkrrs

so my switch is wired- all repacement switches seem to be wire conector harness?
i am trying to test the switch to see if this is my problem and not sure how to test it out.
thoughts?
upload_2021-7-21_9-7-51.jpeg

Txhayseed

Pull the relay and check it. Then use your meter to see if the voltage is going through the system to the relay. That would test the start circuit from key switch to relay. If not test that your getting power out of the module to key switch when on. Twist it over to start and see if your getting start signal from key switch to ignition plug there on the module. If you have power in and start signal out from your switch to the 3 wire switch plug on the module. If you do then you need to go to the module plug and make sure that start signal out of the module is there. If its all good at the switch to the switch plug on module and your not getting it out of the module then its probably the module

Gwilkrrs

Pull the relay and check it. Then use your meter to see if the voltage is going through the system to the relay. That would test the start circuit from key switch to relay. If not test that your getting power out of the module to key switch when on. Twist it over to start and see if your getting start signal from key switch to ignition plug there on the module. If you have power in and start signal out from your switch to the 3 wire switch plug on the module. If you do then you need to go to the module plug and make sure that start signal out of the module is there. If its all good at the switch to the switch plug on module and your not getting it out of the module then its probably the module

i am not sure how to check relays- electronics definitely not my strong suit-

i pulled the relay and switched it with another and same result.

not sure how to test all your suggestions but it sounds like good advice......

Txhayseed

So if you unbolt the cover there at the bottom of the seat and flip over the lid you will see the index that points you to you starter relay. If you pull the relay out and note the way its indexed with the terminals. Turn the key on. Look on the relay for the numbers next to each spade. Terminal 85 is ground pin 30 is battery voltage. Put your meter ground in 85. The use that as your testing ground for this stage. Check for voltage at pin 30. If you got voltage there your relay ground and feed power are good. Take your positive lead out and put it into 86. When you twist the key to start you should see battery voltage on that pin. Pin 86 comes from the module. If you have power there then real quick take a piece of wire and contact pin 30 to 87. If the engine bumps you got a bad relay. If power is present at 86 with switch in start and jump those two pins does nothing you got a issue from pin 87 to the starter solenoid. No power to 86 with switch in start the problem is from there up to module. Ill have to look at the schematic tomorrow when I get to the shop to tell you the what wires you need on the module plug. You can unplug the module plug and leave your meter at pin 86. Set your meter to continuity and go wire by wire on the plug till you find it. Then plug the module back in. Move key switch to start and check for voltage at the module plug. If you have voltage at the plug but not relay is a bad wire or bad connection at the cab harness. No voltage at the module you need to move the key switch. Need voltage in Voltage out for start circut and voltage for accessory.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Just FYI. There is an updated switch kit for that machine, like you mentioned. Your switch is probably bad. I’ve replaced 6 or seven of those to the new style because of low-hour failures.

dualtrade

Just FYI. There is an updated switch kit for that machine, like you mentioned. Your switch is probably bad. I’ve replaced 6 or seven of those to the new style because of low-hour failures.

Hi Coaldust,
Sounds like you have a bit of experience with these,

Just wondering what symptoms a faulty RH Panel gives, have a customers machine S130, will only start if you turn the switch on for approx 40 seconds, wait for the fuel and temp gauges (LH panel) to do a test sweep and light check, then will start every time. No lights work at all on the RH panel, although very occasionally they will all come on and stay on.

I have scoped the data transmit and receive wires and the fault corresponds to when the data receive wire has no signal, as soon as it lights up with a signal it will start.

Coaldust

Occupation
Hello Dualtrade,

Interesting scenario you have going there. Since you are handy with a scope, check the 12+ input on that module. I’m curious if the data bus is slow because the 12+ input is sketchy. Check the ground, too. If the power and ground are good, I’d be tempted to replace the module.

Any codes?

dualtrade

Hello Dualtrade,

Interesting scenario you have going there. Since you are handy with a scope, check the 12+ input on that module. I’m curious if the data bus is slow because the 12+ input is sketchy. Check the ground, too. If the power and ground are good, I’d be tempted to replace the module.

Any codes?

Yep checked powers and grounds and both are fine. No codes as I believe the screen is also faulty, customer said the hour meter stopped working a few years ago.
It’s not a machine that’s used often so I believe he will just keep using it as is until it stops completely, might be easier to diagnose then.

The thing is really like to know is which module is responsible for that particular data transmission, the wire is labelled data rx (receive?) but not sure if that means it’s coming from the ecm or from the opposite panel

Coaldust

Occupation
The Gateway Control module , in Bobcat terms. It’s standard J1939 protocol.