• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

1931 kenworth

Hey Doc Bill worked with him for years I am thinking I should get all his pictures and info and post it phone me when u get time. Larry

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I've been reading about M26 Tank Retriever survivors over on another forum. The Hall Scott engines seem to have a bit of a following. Madill did a bunch of conversions of these into yarders back in the day. They've also been discussed here as well:

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...-Pacific-trucks-in-the-logging-industy/page27

I remember seeing one of these beasts that was converted by Madill into a yarder, lumbering up MacTush Main (M & B -Sproat Lake Div.) back in the late 70's - it was owned by Cleven's Logging. It must have had the original Hall Scott engines in it by the roar/smoke it created. Does anyone happen to have a pic of one of these things in their collection. Post it if you've got one.

HDX

That very yarder you are talking about ended up at Cameron Yard parked for a long time and we ended up getting her remains--They removed the tower and winches as well as all else above the deck We ended up with the cab and chassis. We managed to hang onto her till finally Island Timberlands kicked us out because it was an unsightly thing on THEIR VALUABLE PROPERTY So she had to go However Ross Stevens got the engine and got it going again and cut the rest up That engine is now a running display engine. Go see him at the Duncan truck show and BS with him about it

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I've got family duties happening tomorrow or I'd go. So it was a Hall Scott engine in that thing? Did you say you had pics of this machine? Anyone have any idea how many of these tank retrievers were converted by Madill? There's seems to be a bunch of these things lingering around and some are getting restored. With a fuel burn of one mile per gallon I can imagine that engine is quite the unit.

HDX

SEEING IS BELIEVING!!!!! The alberni hysterical society is putting on a small truck show maybe up here sept long weekend and Ross will probably have it there. Good time to view such things

ForestEng

Simpson 044

just spoke with a guy about Simpson 044s. they bought two at same time he did not know what happened to one the other one went to klamath and later was sold in 89 auction to idaho it had a cat engine arcata did not want it (cat engine)so they went to coosbay after that and got weyco 044 that was sold around 1994? to montana.a lot of iron has passed through the two companies i remember seeing simpson korbel 071 in 1978.going to clarify about simpson/arcata. simpson timber and arcata redwood were two differnt companies until 1988.simpson bought arcata and then shut their klamath company sides down and let arcata continue to run.simpson korbel had converted to 2nd growth in early 80s and continues to log with company sides today.wouldnt it be strange if sn. 60028 had made full circle through weyco back to california

Bushman is this one of the old Simpson 044's you were talking about (60028)?
Simpson044.jpg

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Gould Sunrise's old yarder that Wild Bill Cox ran......

"Photo of 172B at bottom of page 134"

Last edited:

ForestEng

One last question Bushman1. Do you remember the old yarder parked up just inside Johnson Rd off Bald hills (was there in early 2000's, not sure if it's still there?)? Any idea what that thing was?

log big

im from MT someone should take pictures of it i seen it 1 time i think its a 144 or a 044 big machine

Kiwi Logger

Its been a while so thought I would post a few pics as we were moving one of our 046s between forests recently. Wharerata Forest, Gisborne , New Zealand.

Attachments

• 0465.jpeg
    0465.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 804
  • 0461.jpeg
    0461.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 811
  • 0462.jpeg
    0462.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 809
  • 0463.jpeg
    0463.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 810
  • 0464.jpeg
    0464.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 808

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Madill Tower I found at WFP Gold River Div(summer 2014)

Attachments

• Madill s1.jpg
    Madill s1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 748
  • Madill s2.jpg
    Madill s2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 752
  • Madill s3.jpg
    Madill s3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 749

ecologger

do you no much about the terex track mounted westcoaster built in the states that I have heard was a precurser to the 071. I would love to talk with you if you email me at ecolog7@gmail.com a time and number
thanx jay

The first 3 or 4 071s were built on Terex tractor carriers. There was then a bunch built on tank undercarriges. We then went to a fabricated carrier using the same cross drive, trans, bogies and tracks as the tank carriers but were fabricated from 3/8 plate and not 1 1/4" armor plate as the tank carriers were. I worked on almost every 071 that came out of the Nanaimo plant and delivered a very large number of them. Thanks for posting all the pictures of them. Glad to see so many still out there especially the really old ones. I would really like to know what the machine in the background in the 4th pic post 1069 and 1st pic post 1071. I'm wondering if is the one and only "1400" that we built that went to Yardstick Contracting in Sparwood. I delivered it and went back to work on it only twice and then lost track of it. Any info would be much appreciated. Regards D.D.