• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Nice to see Madill 3800C300 coming out of the plant. I hope this all white cab is a one only. My preference is the White top, International Orange cab bottom colour scheme. A person of tradition I guess.

onlyoperator

cat 235 grapple yarder

the last one i knew of was in prince george, early 90's. a guy by the mike hallbauer had one in the mcgregor camp southeast of prince george. i beleive that my dad ran it.

hey donkey the guys name was mike laviolette and was the only op on that yarder for the last 15 years

onlyoperator

make that 20 years time sure flys when you'r having fun with the 235 sy yup

[:cool2QUOTE=donkeydoc;377050]the last one i knew of was in prince george, early 90's. a guy by the mike hallbauer had one in the mcgregor camp southeast of prince george. i beleive that my dad ran it.[/QUOTE]

Sigurd

Moving 009 to another setting and greasing the fairlead, 1968 Port McNeill.Last pic engineer Emil Pazarena and me at lunchtimeIMG_0009-001.jpgIMG_0010-001.jpgIMG_0012-001.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Sigurd those pictures bring back memories , we must have crossed paths in Port McNeill in July or August 1968 . I was up there Chasing on Emil Pazarena's tower , then we packed out the Rigging Slinger on Calvin Pazarena's tower ( both father and son were running Madill towers), I think his first name was Cliff,they were scab lining , as the rigging was coming back the lines picked up a sapling and nailed Cliff on the shoulder. I took his place and went Pulling Rigging , Clyde MacGregor was Tending Hook. He was quite a character , one day it rained we all put our rain gear on , Clyde's pants were missing one leg, after lunch he had a pair of rain pants with both legs , I asked him where he got the rain pants . His reply , I found another pair of rain pants with the other leg missing! That loader in the back ground is a Dominion Shovel mounted on a Pacific rubber tire under carriage with a dipper stick with an air tong on it , I think the guy that ran its first name was Butch. Marvin Wilson and Gerry Escola were woods foremen and Fred Mantic was the super.

Last edited:

Sigurd

camptramp, youre right about Butch, he ran the Dominion at that time.I also remember Marvin Wilson and Larry Mitchell. Here is a pic of Butchs maIMG_0015-001.jpgIMG_0036-001.jpgchine and a pic of me climbing the guyline on the wooden spar in town (didnt go to the top do...) the third i did climb itIMG_0037-001.jpg the right way LOL

Taylor57

My uncle Don Taylor worked at Madill in Nanaimo for about 35 years. Started around 1965 as a welder and ended as a parts-man. He passed away in 2009. Just wondering if anyone in the group knew him?

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
My uncle Don Taylor worked at Madill in Nanaimo for about 35 years. Started around 1965 as a welder and ended as a parts-man. He passed away in 2009. Just wondering if anyone in the group knew him?
I knew him well. I started in 1968 and worked there 33 years. I'm sorry to hear he had passed away. We have a retirees bkfst every month I'll have to ask if the other fellows know. They probably do I"m usually the one that doesn't know whats going on. Regards d,d.

Taylor57

I knew him well. I started in 1968 and worked there 33 years. I'm sorry to hear he had passed away. We have a retirees bkfst every month I'll have to ask if the other fellows know. They probably do I"m usually the one that doesn't know whats going on. Regards d,d.

That's great dd, thanks for the message.

ForestEng

I finally took my camera up to the job today but the photos diddnt quite work out as I had hoped, but standing where I took the pics it looked good as not often you get to see three nice Yarders working so close. On the far left of the second photo is a trailer mount 046 Madill of Mana Logging in the middle is a 123 Madill of Hancox Logging and at the right is our Self Propelled rubber tyre 046 Madill, the other two pics are closer photoes of the 123 and our 046. Just to my left is our TSY6355 which I will post a couple of pics of on the Thunderbird thread.

Kiwi logger
Nice photos from a few years back with a great view. I hate to one-up you, but here's one I have from a different angle but better view. Might be hard but you can see 3 yarders: in the bottom middle you can make out the top of the TSY6355, in the middle you can se the Mana's 046, and on the far right you can see your 046 next to the smallGisborne (2).jpg group of trees on the skid.