• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
No problem Lever! the 044 on rubber tired carrier used the same winch retarder and down drive, they don't have an engine in the carrier....

I operated a couple off 124 that I believe are in New Z now, Interlock Logging and May Trucking anyone no the serial # and maybe some updated pics...thanks
Thanks Murk, I think I got it figured out now. That must of been one hell of a ride! Must have been tough on the shorts.

Wdonaldson

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I think Interlock Logging's 124 is s/n 124-06. I seen that machine and posted pics on the previous page.The Interlock Logging decal was quite faded under the cab. The machine was contracted out to Katzaa logging from Lake Cowichan.

Scott_527

124-06 was a Ross Grapple Yarding machine, unless its been sold. I've seen other pictures of that machine working for Katzaa and also a 122 or 123 working for them, I always wondered what the serial numbers were on those machines and if they were bought or contracted

skadill

071 &3800

madills

Attachments

• DSCN0865.jpg
    DSCN0865.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 1,155
  • DSCN0869.jpg
    DSCN0869.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 1,148
  • DSCN0872.jpg
    DSCN0872.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 1,176
  • DSCN0877.jpg
    DSCN0877.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 1,164

skadill

more

cont.

Attachments

• DSCN0881.jpg
    DSCN0881.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 1,167
  • DSCN0882.jpg
    DSCN0882.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 1,156
  • DSCN0883.jpg
    DSCN0883.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 1,162
  • DSCN0886.jpg
    DSCN0886.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 1,146
  • DSCN0887.jpg
    DSCN0887.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 1,137

Wdonaldson

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
124-06 was a Ross Grapple Yarding machine, unless its been sold. I've seen other pictures of that machine working for Katzaa and also a 122 or 123 working for them, I always wondered what the serial numbers were on those machines and if they were bought or contracted

I wonder if Ross Grapple Yarding purchased 124-06 from Interlock Yarding, the faded sticker was originally from Fort St James?

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
I think your probably right Wdonaldson on Ross buying it from Interlock and it was in Fort Saint James when I operated it. I posted this Gy on page 11 and I see it has the same light bracket and its in my back yard not in NZ.. I have a few more pics to scan of it when it was new and shiney one of these days. thanks!!
I wonder if Ross Grapple Yarding purchased 124-06 from Interlock Yarding, the faded sticker was originally from Fort St James?

tugman

Occupation
Tug & Barge owner, operator
007.JPGMaybe some of you guys can tell what # or model this is.......I can't. I just move 'em on my barge all the time. This one belongs to Doug Sladey...Pender Harbour. It is sitting at Earl's Cove. I was waiting for the ferry to go home, so took this picture.

My cousin used to run this one. Couple of years ago when I moved them, my cousin walked it on my barge, got down out of it, came over and gave me a bear hug. He's a "Grizzly Adams" kind of guy. The hell of it is, shortly after that they were logging, and my cousin's son was working in the landing. A log let loose uphill, slid down and pinned the boy killing him. My cousin couldn't handle it. He just quit and retired.

So the bottom line is.........keep them close to you close........sometimes it's over real quick.

Last edited:

Scott_527

Great picture Tugman! That's a Cypress 6280. 7th one built. Sladey just had that machine rebuilt at T Mar, looks like they did a fine job!
Sorry to hear about your cousins son. I knew Sladey had a fatality a few years back but didn't know the details. I could see how that would be awful hard on a guy...

Last edited:

prolog nz

How do a 123 and a 124 compare? Size, weight, line capacity and speed, operator controls etc...

Both machines are similar in alot of ways 65ft boom 45ft gantry from memory. Similar line capacity although I think we can squeeze about 100metres more haulback on the 123.

The 124 has alot more linespeed with the allison trans which is useful for long haul distance but I think the 123 twin disc feels abit more responsive on short pulling.

The 123 has a knee throttle from factory and the 124 has a hand throttle on the slew joystick. It is easy to convert to a hand throttle like the 124. Also the 124 has an electronic regen lever and the 123 has an air regen. The 123 regen lever has a better feel to it in my opinion. Only other real difference in the cab is the 123 has a gauge and switch for virtually everything where as the 124 is alot more simple.

The main difference is serviceability the 124 is easy to work on and everything is accessable where as the 123 is just a pain in the ass to do most jobs on It also has a complex air system that will give problems if its not well maintained.

Hope this helps I will repost a pic of our 123 and 124 parked together to get an idea of direct size comparison.

Paul L

"So the bottom line is.........keep them close to you close........sometimes it's over real quick." -TUGMAN

Point taken. I got smart some time ago. As much as I loved logging, I knew I had to get out. I now have two little ones, and now I don't second guess about leaving the forest. Did I go soft? Maybe, but I'm not dead like some I once knew. I now work in construction, but still miss the industry.

furpo

just to add to what prolog said re 123 vs 124.

The vision from the 124 is much better. Its only a small thing but it is nice particularly when grappling. The 123 and the early 120s had flat roof cabs so when grappling steep downhill you find yourself leaning forward in the seat. If you look in prologs photo the frame for raising the gantrey on the 123 sits at the same hight as the left window so you have trouble seeing the haulback drum. You look out the back door at it. On the 124 it is a lot lower.

The 124 has more slew grunt and a different under carrage. I havent walked the 123 so cant tell you how they compare.

The 124 has lagged drums which makes things real easy when it comes to swapping rope.

From memory the 124 is lighter as well. The cab also folds forward. Combine this with the guyropes on the tower and it is easier to transport.

Scott_527

Thanks for explaining the two machines for me. I guess I always thought the 124 was just an updated 123 but it sound like they're two completely differnt machines. I did some looking around and as best I can tell the 123 is about 20000 lbs heavier than the 124. Does that sound about right?

furpo

It is a common myth that the 124 is just a newer 123. In fact each series evolved from the first to last and there are plenty of factory options that could be changed. Cab risers being the obvious one.

Can't help with the exact weight difference but sounds about right. The 123 was available with two different track frame lengths so the weight difference will depend on the machine spec. Also the 124 had a thicker drum option and a equal reverser option.

prolog nz

There is alot of difference between the two machines but they both do just as good a job of getting the wood out just the 124 is alot quieter and smoother doing it. The linespeed is where the 124 really shines over the 123.

I was not aware that there were two different track frame lengths in the 123s but I reckon that our 123 probably out powers the 124 in track power and is just as stable to move around.

Good point about the frame by the window roger our machine having the cabriser doesnt help matters