• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
2560 Bowen rd Nanaimo. North end of Bowen near all the car dealerships. Set back from Bowen so you can't see muchfrom there.You can see it best from the Island Highway in front but to get up close go down the back on Labieux Rd. Regards d.d.

Last edited:

HDX

donkey doctor Every time I look at that shop from the highway I remember all the new 75-79 Ford pic-up box's stacked up against the wall There was a pile of them LOL

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Ya they stripped them off the Ford crew cabs and put on bush boxes and took out the back seats to make service trucks. They were pretty good, at least you could keep stuff out of the weather. Always had people coming in wanting to buy the boxes but they never would sell. I think the idea was to put them back on at trade in and move the bush boxes to the next trucks. Never happened, we went to using Budget rentals after that which were great (in my opinion). Always clean, always new and only only a phone call away, day or night. Get a call at 9:pm from the service manager to be in Pt Hardy at 7:am or on the first ferry out of Dept bay and when you got to the shop at 4:am to load up there was a new clean truck all fueled up with the keys in the ashtray ready to go. When Cypress took over they thought Budget trucks didn't look professional enough so got proper service trucks. Great idea until you got one a smoker had brought back or it had gear dope all over the seats or steering wheel and you had your town clothes on cause you were going on the early ferry. I alway preferred the Budget trucks if I could talk my way into one. Boy I miss those good times. Truth be told I bet all of us that did that stuff enjoyed it too, but are glad we are not doing it now. Metal knees and all that stuff that comes with aging. Anyway always good to share what I remember with people who are interested. Regards d.d.

johnson

Does Cypres Creek Logging out of Gold River BC still have their 009?It's supose to be the last big yarder working in western Canada,I saw a couple videos on youtube of them moving it and logging some real steep ground with it,and it looked awesome!

Username

Heard that 17101 is at Modern Machinery in Rochester getting hydrostatic tracks.

Maybe they won't burn this one? :pointhead

Last edited:

log big

how are the new 124 yarders working i red the old story madill was rocking back in the old days making logging machinery on tank tracks how cool some 009 and 144 044 084 had them tank tracks madill best logging machinery ever 100% hope to see the company going from your biggest fan in Montana

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Does anyone have a copy (scan) of the drive mechanism for a M4A3E8 crawler & Madill 009 tower yarder?? I am working on scratch building a 1/24 scale model of one, and would like to get every detail correct. I photographed one back in 1982, in the bush on the Kinleith mill property for New Zealand Forest Products. According to a bit of literature on it, the machine has one V-12 DDC, mounted cross ways mid ship on the deck, and a "angle drive" is used for propulsion. Anything will help, parts book pages, service manual pages, photos.....

Very kind Regards,

Ap40

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Does anyone have a copy (scan) of the drive mechanism for a M4A3E8 crawler & Madill 009 tower yarder?? I am working on scratch building a 1/24 scale model of one, and would like to get every detail correct. I photographed one back in 1982, in the bush on the Kinleith mill property for New Zealand Forest Products. According to a bit of literature on it, the machine has one V-12 DDC, mounted cross ways mid ship on the deck, and a "angle drive" is used for propulsion. Anything will help, parts book pages, service manual pages, photos.....

Very kind Regards,

Ap40

I have photos of the beast, just need to find them & post.

Ap40

furpo

Very kind Regards,

Ap40

Do you have the number? The machine is probably still around.

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
last one

While i was in country in 1982, i had focused on the Pacific P-9 & P-10 log trucks. Looking back i am still kicking my self for not spending more time with the yarder & other support equipment.nzfp-rcm-51a.jpg

Ap40

TorkelH

Nice pictures ap40rocktruck! PM me and I'll give you the link to a parts and service manual for an 009 much similar to this! Not to be 100% sure, but I find only 2 009's with GM12VA and M4C3 u/c on NZ, that is 43154 and 43183, so this yarder may be one of these Furpo.