• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

BDFT

Just found my way back on to the S Madill Loggin Equip site---- does anyone know for sure if the S stands for Sam ?.....My great grandpa Robert had 12 children and Sam was oldest.......... as far as I know he was a blacksmith in small hamlet called Clanwilliam in southern Manitoba.....I guess he being the oldest struck out on his own and didn't stop until he reached Vancouver Island---hopefully that's a reasonably accurate family history.....most of the family remained in Manitoba although another branch may have moved to southern Alberta ......Thanks from Robert Madill (Edmonton Alberta ---moved from Manitoba 35 yrs ago)
To the best of my knowledge, his name was Sam. He started his shop as a blacksmith shop in Victoria, I believe. Building rigging for the logging industry.

69hayes

Occupation
Marine Engineer,
Yesterday at Tmars yard Campbell River

Attachments

• Campbell River Jan 2012 015 (Small).jpg
    Campbell River Jan 2012 015 (Small).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,299
  • Campbell River Jan 2012 023 (Small).jpg
    Campbell River Jan 2012 023 (Small).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,297

Robert Madill

Occupation
Accounting guy
Thank you DAve and HDFT

Wow thankyou for the info----the Nanaimo closure story in 2008 fills in the blanks......I had heard about the plane crash in 1990 through the Edmonton newspaper .....so interesting to read how that affected the previous generation. ....and how the name is carried on through sales of the used equipment.

My previous post was in error to some extent

My Great Grandfather Robert ( born in 1833) came to Owen Sound Ontario as a young guy to work on building the railroad in the Owen Sound area....approx 1860 he returned to Ireland to marry and he and his bride returned to Owen Sound....They had 5 children born in Ontario (my grandfather Robert (went by Alex his second name...or R A ) was the 5th..........there were 2 daughters and 3 sons including my granddad(born in 1876)

Great grandpa Robert , his wife and 5 kids then headed off to Manitoba via the Great Lakes, landing in Duluth/ Superior and making way to Red River and up to Winnipeg .......In 1877 or 1878 they farmed in Gladstone area (west and little north of Winnipeg) ( Sam was the first born in Manitoba)

About 1878 they moved to the Minnedosa/Erickson area further west and north of Winnipeg and approx directly north of Brandon , Manitoba....So in 1877 or 78 Sam was the first born in Manitoba..........there were 7 more children born in Manitoba..........6 boys and one girl..........SO TOTAL FAMILY OF 3 DAUGHTERS AND 10 SONS...........

So I have the tree filled in for Sam, my Grandpa Robert (Alex or R A) , and a younger son Mark(born Manitoba) , and a Manitoba born son Albert . That leaves 6 sons that I'm still working with...........1, 2, or 3 of the sons are grandpa to 3 families in Bethany, Manitoba (hamlet near Minnedosa), one (Jim ) died in WW1) so may not have had a family., one son Frank or his successors may have ended up in Alberta............so I think that might narrow it down to one unaccounted for...........or maybe 3 depending on the Bethany , Manitoba 1, 2, or 3 grandpa situation.

Thanks again for your help guys...........Robert Madill, Edmonton

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
Here is a sneak peek of something I found today at Modern Machinery in Eugene. They had it parked in the back corner where you can't see it but from the highway. Brand new 3800C

7b85c897.jpg

Also, a 2800 at Papé in Eugene. I think it's in for some repair work.

3d00be41.jpg

ae57307e.jpg

roughrider

If that Madill is at Pape, it might be a trade in.

Modern Machinery recently sold some of their Madill assets to a company in B.C., but Modern is still covering parts and service on the Madill line.

You'd think if it was a repair, it would be sittin in the Modern yard.

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
If that Madill is at Pape, it might be a trade in.

Modern Machinery recently sold some of their Madill assets to a company in B.C., but Modern is still covering parts and service on the Madill line.

You'd think if it was a repair, it would be sittin in the Modern yard.

You could be right about it being a trade. I'm going to try and get some pictures of the new 3800 today.

Kiwi Logger

I finally took my camera up to the job today but the photos diddnt quite work out as I had hoped, but standing where I took the pics it looked good as not often you get to see three nice Yarders working so close. On the far left of the second photo is a trailer mount 046 Madill of Mana Logging in the middle is a 123 Madill of Hancox Logging and at the right is our Self Propelled rubber tyre 046 Madill, the other two pics are closer photoes of the 123 and our 046. Just to my left is our TSY6355 which I will post a couple of pics of on the Thunderbird thread.

Attachments

• DSC00882.JPG
    DSC00882.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,954
  • DSC00878.JPG
    DSC00878.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,905
  • DSC00879.JPG
    DSC00879.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,893

dirty4fun

Great to see so much iron so close, looks like work is going strong there. Thanks for posting the pictures!

Redwood Climber

Just found these today. Hope I'm not reposting something already up. http://www.madillequipment.com/TLA Tour.htm

Thanks for posting these.......that's some fine looking iron there. Makes a man think about a nice slope of freshly fallen Douglas Fir......... 2 swings to the road, just pumping out the wood....... nice new machine, no leaks, nice and tight, no slop, no dings, no errors........

lg junior

Here's a 009 hoist, was powered by a 1693 Cat. Also a 046 on a Berger trailer, the 110 foot tube is stored at another location.

photo-13.jpg

photo-2-2.jpg

TorkelH

Hello lg junior! That was the second new 046 picture for my collection this day! Great! My bet is the 046 is #10004 built in Kalama 1977, owned by Christian bros, Springfield. They also had #10003, originally mounted on a Madill 079 trailer. Later it was mounted on the only built Madill "069" 4-axle self propelled carrier and went up to Vancouver Island - pictures here: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...-in-Nanaimo-BC&p=210835&viewfull=1#post210835

I don't know if you noticed the serials on these two yarders. More pictures and correct serials for both the 009 and 046 are highly appreciated! Are you far away from Huffman & Wright? They also still should have an 046 by their shop, would be nice to see some pictures of that machine too ;)

Last edited:

lg junior

You are correct that is the one that Christian Bros. had. The other one was mounted on a Skagit trailer that at one time was owned by Excel Logging. I'm not sure where the serial numbers are located but the next time I get there in the daylight I will look a little harder.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
You are correct that is the one that Christian Bros. had. The other one was mounted on a Skagit trailer that at one time was owned by Excel Logging. I'm not sure where the serial numbers are located but the next time I get there in the daylight I will look a little harder.

If you look in your first 009 picture you can see the SN plate right below the drums. I believe that is the stock location for it on the 009 and 046's, that is if no one has already grabbed it for a souvenir:(