• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Plate Off An Old Madill......

I spend my spare time cruising around the back roads on my old Enduro bike and sometimes I find little things that interest me. This time it was an old '009 that was being scrapped out up by Squamish. This is the plate off of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,437

trakloader

I spend my spare time cruising around the back roads on my old Enduro bike and sometimes I find little things that interest me. This time it was an old '009 that was being scrapped out up by Squamish. This is the plate off of it.

This is bizarre, compare it with mine, which I found stomped into the mud in a boneyard.

Attachments

• madill 0091.jpg
    madill 0091.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,401

Truckmodeler

First Madill stuff to show up at Nicholson in Sidney. I saw it today, not sure how long its been there. There was some other red-orange bits and pieces laying around. Hopefully more to follow soon.

Attachments

• DSCF1407 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1407 (Small).JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,416

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Here are a few shots of a 255B swinger in Oregon. Forum member jdigger4130 sent me these.

Attachments

• 70.jpg
    70.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 1,395
  • 71.jpg
    71.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 1,386
  • 69.jpg
    69.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 1,423
  • 67.jpg
    67.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 1,419
  • 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 1,411

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
First Madill stuff to show up at Nicholson in Sidney. I saw it today, not sure how long its been there. There was some other red-orange bits and pieces laying around. Hopefully more to follow soon.

That machine is sold (has been for quite awhile) to Rice Logging at Sweet Home Oregon and will soon be in the chips. The next several are already sold as well but not sure if the owner's want their names out there yet so hush on that for now.

There are some really neat improvements on this machine over the last dozen or so 3800C's- mainly structural and boom related issues........

Rice has paid for it already so the filed UCC is public- otherwise I'd keep my trap shut.

The 1st round of yarders has been started as well now- 120, 124, and 172. Being built by an outside contractor- and not in Canada.

The way I understand it, the 1st 172 has already been sold as well. Swingers are available but wont last long.

Last edited:

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
You must have done a double take - I know that I did... So they're almost identical except for the 95 being transposed for the 59 in the serial number area. Maybe we were separated at birth? This is too wierd.

Truckmodeler

that is the first 3800 that Nicholson has built and was moved outside Friday. It will be going to it's owner at the end of the month
I was hoping to see some Madill colours there soon. I pass by a few times a month and I've been keeping an eye out for something since I heard of Nicholson taking over. Good to see. Hope to see some more new equipment soon before it heads out to the customers.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
No kidding, I had to check my plate as soon as I saw that! :eek:

OK Fellows, I'm sitting here looking at my build lists and here's what you have:

S/N 48059- Madill 009 (Cat Power) on tank sold to Gemini Logging- March 1972 says had the M4A3 finals, no info on a location for Gemini......? ever heard of them?
S/N 48095- Madill 009 (Cat Power) on tank sold to Weldwood (Goat Lake Div) Sep 1972 say finals were M40. Powell River is given as Weldwood Headquarters....?

That's where Madill says they went anyway.......these pages are very very faded and what I really need to do is put the build lists on an excel spreadsheet.
The way I type that should take about 30 years.

Last edited:

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
The machine I found was an old yellow beast on tracks - just like the old J-39 and the J-121 that I started on at M & B back in '76. Any idea on those machines (when they were sold, particulars, etc.)? What exactly does the MK 21 on mine and the MK 25 on his signify?

trakloader

The machine I found was an old yellow beast on tracks - just like the old J-39 and the J-121 that I started on at M & B back in '76. Any idea on those machines (when they were sold, particulars, etc.)? What exactly does the MK 21 on mine and the MK 25 on his signify?

Mine is Mk.21, too. The picture is deceiving! CL will know for sure, but I think the Mk. is something to do with the size of the bull gear. 48059 belonged to a fellow called "Horsey", I understand that he bought the machine new in the early 70's, logged one setting, made his fortune, and walked away. It sat there until about 7-8 years ago, a young fellow got it going and drove it onto a barge. It was so rusted out, two injector lines were gone, and the turbo blew out. It has been scrapped now, nothing left but wheels and bolts. The valve bank for the guyline drums was recycled, I put it on our museum tower to get it going.

Hey CL, see what you can find on this plate!

Attachments

• treasures 0091.jpg
    treasures 0091.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,436

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
OK Fellows, I'm sitting here looking at my build lists and here's what you have:

S/N 48059- Madill 009 (Cat Power) on tank sold to Gemini Logging- March 1972 says had the M4A3 finals, no info on a location for Gemini......? ever heard of them?
S/N 48095- Madill 009 (Cat Power) on tank sold to Weldwood (Goat Lake Div) Sep 1972 say finals were M40. Powell River is given as Weldwood Headquarters....?

That's where Madill says they went anyway.......these pages are very very faded and what I really need to do is put the build lists on an excel spreadsheet.
The way I type that should take about 30 years.

CL if you want to scan some and email them to me, I'm pretty good with Excel.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Mine is Mk.21, too. The picture is deceiving! CL will know for sure, but I think the Mk. is something to do with the size of the bull gear. 48059 belonged to a fellow called "Horsey", I understand that he bought the machine new in the early 70's, logged one setting, made his fortune, and walked away. It sat there until about 7-8 years ago, a young fellow got it going and drove it onto a barge. It was so rusted out, two injector lines were gone, and the turbo blew out. It has been scrapped now, nothing left but wheels and bolts. The valve bank for the guyline drums was recycled, I put it on our museum tower to get it going.

Hey CL, see what you can find on this plate!

I always thought the Mk was related to the undercarriage construction/final drive assy's. I dont know, wish I did. the other problem is that every time I learn something it only spawns more questions. 1 good answer ultimately equals 10 more questions for me....(and yes you smart-asses, I still learn every day. Some of the simplest concepts in life I do not yet understand -women are a great example).

In 2002 i was working with the Cypress group (they had themselves cleverly disguised in Madill's buildings and literature by then) and copied these build lists out of an old 3-ring binder. They are a real mess and many are hard to read.

41008 was sold in May of 1964 to Evans Products. No other information given- no engine info, no mounting/undercarriage info, nothing....Evans sounds like it could have been a dealer even maybe, We had a Evans Tractor in the states years ago. Leaves alot of questions and not any real good answers...Was there an Evans Forest Products maybe??? I'll say we had some very poor data entry people working at Madill in 1964. OR its the work of an average salesman- late and lacking!

Jeremy is good with excel (he's working on a Weyco spreadsheet and I do plan on helping with that when time allows) so I'm gonna take these into a copy shop and have them copied a couple shades darker and just mail it to him. Its about 250 pages and I'll never be able to do it myself. Plus I can barely type........

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
There's a fellow on this forum named Josh who works with the new Logging Museum going in at Brooks, Trackloader works with a Museum in the Charlottes, etc. I think somehow we need to get all this info on the spars and trucks and everything onto sreadsheets and get them put on CD's for all the logging museums to keep in thier collections maybe.
Not sure how to do it but when I'm dead my relatives could care less about all this so if we dont do something my share will probably get burned in the fireplace if I'm not careful!
I wish I could predict my death- I'd hoard it all and procrastinate till about 2 months before, then scramble like a mad-man to get everything where it needs to go.

As it stands today the only thing I dowell- like a pro- is procrastinate.

isx525

evans products

evans products did a bunch of logging in Montana up until about 1979 or 80 I believe. they also were active on Grays harbor into the early '70's I think they owned the Aloha lumber holdings,and might have had a mill in hoquiam. sold some timber contracts to Mayr bros. (from the book "the cinderella tree" ) :)

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
I am pretty sure that MK. stands for the number of teeth on the gear of the torque converter.When Western bought my first 075 new in 88. It was ordered wrong and madill came up and put the guyline package on, installed the a/c, and because i did not like the line speed they changed the sprocket on the the torque from 18 tooth to a 23 tooth. When they did that they also changed the manufactors plate, restamped MK.23, I have the old one pinned to my wall down and it has MK.18 on it. I wish took the one off the machine before they scrapped it

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Jeremy is good with excel (he's working on a Weyco spreadsheet and I do plan on helping with that when time allows) so I'm gonna take these into a copy shop and have them copied a couple shades darker and just mail it to him. Its about 250 pages and I'll never be able to do it myself. Plus I can barely type........

Fun stuff! Not sure why I like Excel,must be part of my personality that I like to organize information? This is good information that definitely needs to be saved before the paper disintegrates. Just like the old pictures getting scanned and posted here.

TorkelH

I am pretty sure that MK. stands for the number of teeth on the gear of the torque converter.When Western bought my first 075 new in 88. It was ordered wrong and madill came up and put the guyline package on, installed the a/c, and because i did not like the line speed they changed the sprocket on the the torque from 18 tooth to a 23 tooth. When they did that they also changed the manufactors plate, restamped MK.23, I have the old one pinned to my wall down and it has MK.18 on it. I wish took the one off the machine before they scrapped it

Yes, the Mark is for sure the number of teeth on the drive sprocket out of the torque converter. According to my newly obtained Madill 044 owners/operator book and parts list...:tong

Last edited: