• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

furpo

12002 getting a bit of love

Here is the 120 with both gears off the main drum. The preload had come off the gear idler bearings so before it became an issue we sorted it. The shaft bearing also were not retained properly allowing some end float in the whole assembly. Sorted now as well.

Just a tip for anyone pulling the rear main slip clutch out of one of these. If you remove the cage from the Witchita you can get the clutch past the strawline drum without pulling the strawline drum. To get the cage off you have to undo the cap bolts from behind the clutch assembly.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,282

TorkelH

Madill 143 serial 88018

Do you mean the parts of the Cleagh Creek 143 (88018)? Or did it got rebuilt? (Thanks to Murk100 for the first two pictures)
Here is some pictures of the other Interfor 143, serial nbr 88008 built in 1986.

Attachments

• S5001706.JPG
    S5001706.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,361
  • S5001707.JPG
    S5001707.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,224
  • P1030401 - Kopi.JPG
    P1030401 - Kopi.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 1,504
  • P1030406 - Kopi.JPG
    P1030406 - Kopi.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,554
  • P1030413 - Kopi.JPG
    P1030413 - Kopi.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 1,249

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
It got rebuilt Cleagh ran it for awhile afterwards then it went to mid coast, then Interfore sold it to a fellow in Port Albernie, And my brothers outfit bought it last year.

TorkelH

More 143's

Ok - I was sure your brother bought the one on the last 3 pictures (nbr 80008). Is he satisfied with the machine and did he get some manuals?

Did you btw see (in live or pictures) the red 075 90033 parked in PA? I'll put some pictures up of it tonight.

Scott_527

I heard Auburn Timber in WA bought two 143s, 88007 was one. Main Logging supposedly has one too but I haven't been able to get a serial number. Its good to hear that the old Cleagh machine has be resurected and is working. Does anyone know where 88008 ended up? I remember seeing it for sale on Foresttech a couple years back.

lever twister

I currently run a madill 124 have been for a few years but this particular yarder is having shifting issues in the transmission it wants to drop into second on it,s own and nobody can figure out why was wondering if anybodyelse is having the same problem ?

Assume that the oil level is correct for the right temp? Trans do not shift light come on? Filters changed recently? No bare wires? ECM problem?

tugman

Occupation
Tug & Barge owner, operator
I've just found this site and joined it.

Just realized all my pics so far show tubes in the cradle. That sucks, so here are a coule standing. Taken near Hoonah, Alaska.

Very nice pics. I was up at Hoona about a year ago looking at a boat I was considering buying. Nice little village. Flying in I was looking at the heavy amount of logging there. I own a tug & barge now, and move a lot of logging equipment. Many of those old Madill Towers, American loaders etc, I take to be scrapped. When I figure out how to post some pictures here, I'd like to show my brothers A-frame and cold deck pictures from years ago. My brother and I were two of the last guys standing up wooden trees with flying gin poles for high lead logging back in the sixties.

TorkelH

Hello tugman!

When you find out how to post maybe you have some pictures of machines you have been moving on your barge? Even if most of the members here including myself dislike scrapping of old logging machinery I also understand the necessity to do some clean up of rusted iron at many locations. I and some others try to collect a picture archive mostly based on serial numbers of old yarders and information and pictures of scrapped machines are very contributing!

tugman

Occupation
Contract Logger; Thank you for your reply. Good to talk with you. The last Madills I ran were in Sechelt Inlet BC about 1975. However because I'm one of the last guys roaming around that knows how to run all this old stuff, I end up moving a lot of it. I went a short while back to collect an old Madill, (still in very good condition) in Quatleena, in Quatna Inlet, off Burke Channel below Bella Coola. It was just on the wrong side of a bridge that has just been condemned by our forest service, so there it sits. I will be happy to put up some pictures you will enjoy, when I get this figured out. If you ever know anyone who can use an old V12-71, I took one out of my tug in 08. It is high on hours, 19000+ but was still running good. I replaced it with a Mitsubishi S6B3 - 450 HP Turbo charged aftercooled. Super engine.

tugman

Occupation
Good scab line show. I've got to get the pictures up I have almost the same pictures, except from the plane flying over from Juneau. Got a super picture of the glacier coming off the airport in Juneau. I'v also got a lot of nice helilog pictures. I move a lot of fuel tankers for Helifor, and Canadian Air Crane. I'm sure you guys will enjoy the old pictures of my brothers A-Frame and cold deck show. I just figured out how to upload some files, but I have to resize them.........later.

tugman

Occupation
I am going to try and put a couple of images up here to see if I can make it work.500.JPG498.JPGHopefully this will work so I can do this right. Thanks for your patience.

tugman

Occupation
Hello tugman!

Seems your picture-posting went well! Looking forward too see more! And if you should have any serial nbrs pls post them also!
Thank you sir. It's something I unfortunately have not paid the attention to that I should have. If I am engaged in more I will tend to that, as I almost always have the digital camera in my pocket now. I think they are one of the most wonderful tools we have now.

TorkelH

Thank you sir. It's something I unfortunately have not paid the attention to that I should have. If I am engaged in more I will tend to that, as I almost always have the digital camera in my pocket now. I think they are one of the most wonderful tools we have now.
I agree fully to the wonderful tool the digital camera is, only wish I had one back in the 90's...

If you have pictures, like of the blue 009, and are able to tell something of who may have owned machine, location and engine, I will try to do some detective work and may actually be able to identify it! If it is a machine still existing pm me about location.

Last edited:

tugman

Occupation
I agree fully to the wonderful tool the digital camera is, only wish I had one back in the 90's...

If you have pictures, like of the blue 009, and are able to tell something of who may have owned machine, location and engine, I will try to do some detective work and may actually be able to identify it! If it is a machine still existing pm me about location.
I am sorry to tell you that machine would have been cut up about two years ago. I brought it out of Quatleena. It had belonged to Kwatna Timber. I had to pack a starter up and install to get the old V12 started to move it down to my barge. When we got to where you see it in the picture, (Middle Point Terminal, Campbell River BC) I just barely got off the barge, and the torgue converter gave up. We then had to drag it aways. ABC recycling is the company I deal with, and to get it away from the barge terminal, they cut it up right there, (which they have to do with much of the stuff we bring). You see in these remote places where a lot of this old equip. is left, there are always the "scavengers" stealing starters, air compressors, batteries and all the stuff they can pack away.

TorkelH

I can at least narrow it down to one of three or even two, seems Kwatna Timber had 3 Madill 009's with 12V71 engines - one built in 1966 mtd on M6 u/c, one built in 1977 on M4A3 and one built in 1980 mtd on M40M! Guess this is one of the two latter?

tugman

Occupation
I can at least narrow it down to one of three or even two, seems Kwatna Timber had 3 Madill 009's with 12V71 engines - one built in 1966 mtd on M6 u/c, one built in 1977 on M4A3 and one built in 1980 mtd on M40M! Guess this is one of the two latter?
I would say that it is probably one of the first two you have quoted. The one that is left there now, (behind the bridge that foresty won't let me cross.) The one left there is a rubber tire mount, with the dual steering front wheels. I'm sorry, I don't know enough about those machines to give you any further description. However, it is painted the M&B red & white so I am sure it came there much later. I have a lot more pictures, but they are on hard paper, in my old albums. I will try and scan them to show you. If I am not too sucessful, I am glad to send you copies to make. This is interesting history to share. I only ask to get my stuff back. I unfortunately shared pictures with the editor of "Western Mariner" magazine. I sent him some priceless pictures of the rapids getting into Wyclees Lagoon in Smith Inlet which he used in his magazine. He never gave them back to me. I am still searching for my negatives, (I was not very good at keeping files on a lot of my stuff.)