• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

NZLOG

Occupation
Logger
Another photo of 12451

Attachments

• mad2.jpg
    mad2.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 1,514

NZLOG

Occupation
Logger
Another photo added!

Attachments

• mad3.jpg
    mad3.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 1,520

kiwi450x

Excellent work, thanks for the pics. I'm pleased it's working out well for you.

Although I know next to nothing about swing yarders, I never get sick of looking at logging gear.

furpo

NZLOG

Is the bracing under the strawline pulley designed as a gaurd? Also any reason why they didnt gaurd the front left? It looks like they have put some attach,ent points under the boom

NZLOG

Occupation
Logger
NZLOG

Is the bracing under the strawline pulley designed as a gaurd? Also any reason why they didnt gaurd the front left? It looks like they have put some attach,ent points under the boom

Under Strawline sheave is just a ladder to thread strawline if need be! see how long it lasts! Mounts have been put on for guard that is being manafactured as we speak this is what you can see in the middle between drums!

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Nice pics of the one at Gould-Sunrise, you had better luck than I did. I asked for permission to go in and they referred me to the owner, who never called me back. Did you get a picture of the serial # plate?

TorkelH

This 123 has turned up for sale on Trademe. Im thinking it is 12301. Can anyone confirm. It is located in Taupo.
Seems that 12301 - Hafer Logging - was light blue original and had a shorter ladder on the gantry. It's a picture of it in the dropbox. Are you sure this is not one of the 5 sold new to NZ?

furpo

Seems that 12301 - Hafer Logging - was light blue original and had a shorter ladder on the gantry. It's a picture of it in the dropbox. Are you sure this is not one of the 5 sold new to NZ?

I have no idea which machine it is. Going from the boom which has side rollers on the fairleads it must be an early one. How many come out with side rollers?

Yep, seen the photo in the dropbox

TorkelH

Simpsons on the newest brochure cover was #9. I don't know the number of Don Whitaker's black 123 without shielding, but it may have been #2 since it is on the first brochure cover (and then later Ketchican, AK - Wonder if Withaker traded it with one of the three 084?). Ketchican also owned #7 (later at Lakeland, Rotorua), may both of these machines been sold to NZ? #3 was probably sold new to Western and I would think they still have it. #4 and #5 is still in BC (Hamilton and Mt Sicker Lumber). What kind of boom top is it on #6?