• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Born2clearcut

OK- we DO have this machine showing up on an old Madill builder's list!

It was delivered in November 1960 to 'B.C.F. Service' labeled as 'Madill 009 E', 'Spar Model 38C', 'Spar Number 36010'.

No location is given regarding B.C.F. or what it may stand for. Maybe you B.C area gurus already figured that part out (I hope).
This may be the group that got that machine if so it would of been in the Port Renfrew area.I see my grandfather in this picture so i'll ask around the family to see if anyone knows anything about it

Attachments

• BCFPcrewsmall.jpg
    BCFPcrewsmall.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 1,798

TorkelH

Here is a carrier/tower look-a-like to the lake yarder! Picture from 1963.

In the end sixties it seems Skookum introduced their own style spars, here a clip from "What's new in logging" 1969:

New Skookum Spars
The Skookum Company, Portland, Oregon
Two new mobile-spar models have been introduced by Skookum Company. Designated Model R and Model H, they replace the old Model S in the company’s line. The new models have many advanced design features. Most noteworthy is the completely redesigned hydraulic raising system which now lifts the spar to an almost vertical position. Skookum says that, in addition to the increased angle, the speed of both raising and lowering the spar has been substantially increased also.

Both new models are 90-feet tall and are designed for use with 1 3/8 in. mainline. The Model R is intended for use with conventional three-drum yarders. Model H has an extra fair- lead and other features making it ideally suited to four-drum yarders. The Model H will also appeal to loggers who like to use the Gravity Outhaul yarding system with a three-drum yarder.
These new models, like other Skookum spars, give the logger the choice of yarding with the spar in a vertical position or leaning it forward or away from the yarder. The adjustability of spar position is useful in locating the lines to the best advantage for landing logs.
Models R and H are available in an engineered package consisting of the spar, tractor undercarriage and Skookum-Tyee yarder. “This integrated unit”, says a company spokesman, “is the quickest moving and most versatile yarding machine of its size ever built”.

Attachments

• Skookum_Madill_sm.jpg
    Skookum_Madill_sm.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,802
  • Skookum_spar.JPG
    Skookum_spar.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,752

skadill

Thanks so much guys!,its neat that so much can still be found out about our great history and gear,real good info and brochure photos.I guess its true-'If you want to get something done get a logger to do it'Its a blast finding the oldies.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
1969 Madill 044 Serial# 47007

Picture taken 1991, Danroth Contracting
thanks to the Hooktender for the pics.

Attachments

• Image0063.jpg
    Image0063.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,678
  • Image0062.jpg
    Image0062.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,671

skadill

Truck Mount Yarder

A shared pic from a RBauction ,I think at Prince George ,B.C.Dont know much else on it.Assuming its a Madill

Attachments

• img073.jpg
    img073.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 1,758

64Pacific

The HD spar truck in Skadill's last post is the Sure-Spar unit that was dragged out of the bush near Penny, B.C. and brought the Richie Brothers yard in PG. it was painted and cleaned up and then sent off to the railway museum, just a few kilometers down the road. Apparently the truck was driven from the bush to RB, and I know that at 4 am the truck was driven from Richie Brothers to the museum.

lg junior

Here is an 071 at Acme Carriage. There are eight more 071's out back and a 009.

Madill.jpg

Last edited:

furpo

What was the difference between the double main and tag line 044? Im guessing the double main version had equal sized mains. What where they like to operate? Im guessing you had to watch the wraps with the tag line model.

skadill

Some sort of Yarder from 1948

Not sure what it is,but its showing up here,closest fit.Shared pic originated at Revelstoke Forest Museum.

Attachments

• img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,712
  • img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 1,739
  • img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 1,735

MikeKB

This is an Allis Chalmers M4 "high speed tractor" that was used in WW2 to tow 150 mm artillery guns and set them up for firing. It most likely was bought for surplus and converted by extending the rear portion of the frame to mount the base of the spar tube.

Mike

Born2clearcut

The Mighty Mini Pipe
Did alot of north bending with these machines , very productive with a good crew . I wish they would have setup the guyline fairleads the same as a grapple yarder so you only had to move one guyline when out of lead instead of all 3 guylines . Maybe thier was reason they couldn't do it that way .

Attachments

• 071minipipesm.jpg
    071minipipesm.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 1,522

furpo

The Mighty Mini Pipe
I wish they would have setup the guyline fairleads the same as a grapple yarder so you only had to move one guyline when out of lead instead of all 3 guylines . Maybe thier was reason they couldn't do it that way .

The same thought occured to me when doing guyline shifts for these things. Ours had 4 though.

Redwood Climber

Identify please.......

I stumbled across this and thought you gentlemen might enjoy it.
http://www.modernmachinery.com/service/yarder_rebuild.htm

Cheers!

Ok fella's........bottom right picture of rebuild #2.......identify the swing yarder in the distance please.
I don't know how to zoom in on it with the computer....

Thanks for the pics, I love seeing well used yarders being rebuilt instead of scrapped. Not just being rebuilt, but updated and improved both for production and safety.