• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S-185

jkiser96

Occupation
Concrete truck driver / business owner
I am looking at a 2007 S-185 to buy. I am looking for opinions on these machines. I will use it primarily for backfilling ditches in fields & snow removal with a 8' snow box. I am demoing a 175 right now & really like the power but with a cab & no air it is very stuffy plus the non-turbo is louder than I had hoped. The 185 has 200 hours on it with cab-heat-air-power bobtach but standard controls instead of pilots like I wanted. Any info is greatly appreciated.:drinkup

bobcatrg

Occupation
Full Time Firefighter & Excavation Business
The S185 was my first cab & air machine. I loved it. It was stolen on a job site and I ended up replacing it with the S205 which I liked even more. I would never own another open cab machine. If you have good dealer support within a reasonable distance, with good shop guys, go for it. I have never had anything but Bobcats though, so I am biased.
The S185 will hold its value well and do what you want to do with it.

Occupation
Owner-Wenner Skid Loading & Sod Co. (Sod prep and
My first cab/air/heat/power bobtach machine was also an S-185, i still use it for snow removal, moving dirt, and backfilling retaining walls its a 2005 and i won't buy another loader without any of those options ever again, the first thing to go, if i absolutely didn't need it, would probably be the A/C as it is a $1500 option and a pain in the @$$ to maintain. The reason it might come in handy for you is a little trick that when your door fogs up doing snow removal, just hit your a/c switch with heat cranked and it defrosts/defogs your window, something a lot of guys dont consider when getting into the snow removal business. The difference between the 175 and 185 is the 185 is turboed so you get a small boost in power. i really notice it when going into a pile, its faster to get a heaping bucket with the 185. Not to talk the 175 down but you will be much more satisfied in the long run doing the jobs you mention with the s185. If the price is right, just remember A/C $1500 Cab/heat $2500 power bobtach $700. I was in a similar position at one time, it was time to upgrade and stuck between an S185 w/every option availible besibes high flow (worthless to most people) and a very basic cabless S175. i know now haveing operated both machines that i made the right decision to spend the extra $3500 on the s185. as for the controls thats up to the operator. I was told by a reasonable source that before long we wont see any foot controls coming off the assembly lines anymore :beatsme ill run either of them, my stubborn days are over. Best of luck!

Last edited:

jkiser96

Occupation
Concrete truck driver / business owner
Well we decided to go with the 175. I am sure I will regret not getting A/C but I am looking at keeping this one for a couple years & then upgrade but for now I will let the 175 earn me a little $$$$. Thanks for the responses guys. I am getting the 175 for $19,200 which is not bad with low hours & the options where the 185 was another $5000. I am getting ready to start a job where we will be moving about 15 tri-axle loads of dirt to fill a ditch so I will put it to the test. Now My salesman is trying to get me to look at a Toolcat that a guy has with a few toys. I had to tell him no unless he had a place to put me up after the wife divorced me.