• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Running a Genie Z 45-25J with a Converter instead of using batteries?

Thomas Key

Hello,
We have a Z 45-25J that is in need of another Battery replacement. 8 6volt batteries power this machine equaling 48volts. This Genie is used in a factory with adequate access to 115v outlets. It is part of our Maintenance equipment and only used at times when needed for changing lights or something when the reach is needed. It does not see a lot of use. I was wondering if it would be possible to do away with the batteries and use a converter to power the machine. I have been told that the amperage draw may be a problem, and that the batteries acted as part of the stability of the machine. We can put the weight of four batteries on each side if that is an issue. The main issue is cost effectiveness. It cost around $3,500.00 for batteries and another $500.00 if you need a charger. What would be the cost of an converter that would power the machine if there is such? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Zewnten

The amperage draw of these units is a lot. 4 hours of cutting tree limbs and they need charged based on my time where we rented a few of them. A 48v inverter capable of providing the necessary amps is going to be big bucks once you figure in the surge load of the dc hydraulic pump.

Delmer

That's pretty steep for the batteries. Are those top of the line batteries? and how long did they last you? what was the battery maintenance done?

I'd have no problem getting 4 marine cranking batteries and leaving half the dead batteries for weight if you only use it for quick lifts and right back on the charger. I would not try an AC conversion in any manner in that environment.

Thomas Key

The amperage draw of these units is a lot. 4 hours of cutting tree limbs and they need charged based on my time where we rented a few of them. A 48v inverter capable of providing the necessary amps is going to be big bucks once you figure in the surge load of the dc hydraulic pump.
Thanks. It is looking that way. I am still looking into it.

Thomas Key

That's pretty steep for the batteries. Are those top of the line batteries? and how long did they last you? what was the battery maintenance done?
Qty. Line. Part# Description List
8. DEPM. 8C6V. DEKA. 399.25

I'd have no problem getting 4 marine cranking batteries and leaving half the dead batteries for weight if you only use it for quick lifts and right back on the charger. I would not try an AC conversion in any manner in that environment.

obsolete

If you are only using the machine for a couple lifts and little travel, you don't need good deep cycle batteries, buy 4 of the Walmart economy automotive 12V batteries, less than $60 each, charge them after each use and keep topped off and they will do the job and last a long time. Much easier and cheaper than trying to put together a plug in power source.

terex herder

What size are the batteries that they cost $400 each? Or are they some special size? Your 115 volt outlet won't provide enough power to do much good. Your existing batteries might have enough life in them if you started with them charged and plugged the lift into a 115v charger while you were using the machine.

Thomas Key

What size are the batteries that they cost $400 each? Or are they some special size? Your 115 volt outlet won't provide enough power to do much good. Your existing batteries might have enough life in them if you started with them charged and plugged the lift into a 115v charger while you were using the machine.
Seems actually running the machine while charging is frowned against. No biggie if it can't be done, it can't. Just thought we would check into it.

Thomas Key

Thanks for all the input. Guess the amp draw of the machine would just be to much for a 120vac to 48vdc converter. From the looks of things we may try a cheaper set of batteries and see how that turns out. I mean... Why waste the money.

Thomas Key

If you are only using the machine for a couple lifts and little travel, you don't need good deep cycle batteries, buy 4 of the Walmart economy automotive 12V batteries, less than $60 each, charge them after each use and keep topped off and they will do the job and last a long time. Much easier and cheaper than trying to put together a plug in power source.
Actually looking at this as an option to try. Even if they are 100 bucks a piece. Thanks.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Need to be careful about modifying lifts. That's an easy way to get hung out to dry by your liability insurance if there is ever an accident.

Best bet it to get the right batteries and maintain them not just ignore them like most do with lifts. Regular terminal checks, cleaning and electrolyte checks.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Like JLarson said. Backyard do what you want, but in an industrial setting, that’s sketchy. Holy cow. Call Kenny Logins, cause you headed to the danger zone.

cfherrman

Do you have another machine that you use more? Buy new batteries for that machine and put the used ones maintenance machine.

Thomas Key

Nope just the one machine. It was purchased several years ago. It is an 2004 model. Thanks again for all the input. I think we have a game plan to go with.