• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Runaway Train

Jabiru

Occupation
Aerodrome Officer/Fitter & Turner
To view the preliminary accident report go to: atsb.gov.au and then" rail accidents & investigations'.
This BHP iron ore train was loaded at about 41,000 Tonnes and reached speeds of 162 kmh before
it was successfully derailed at a passing loop on its run into Port Headland WA.
The final report will divulge how the train pulled away with out the driver who had de-trained to inspect
rolling stock. Progress ---- Having only one driver on a train !!!!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
So long as the driver sets the brakes the way he's supposed to before getting out of the cab you only need one......

EDIT: Read the report. Stay in the cab and wait for assistance to arrive would have been the appropriate course of action. The ground gang applying handbrakes to the wrong train could also be seen as a contributing factor.

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
As been mentioned before, I was Manager, Chief engineer, Chief track man, Chief everything for a shortline RR.
NUMBER ONE RULE was the engineer NEVER leaves the controls. I had 4 rotating part time ground guys and used 2 at a time, radios were the key to avoiding problems. If it all had to come to a halt to sort things out... so be it.