• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Runaway Excavator Hits House in No. Branford,Ct.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
This was a tough one to categorize, being it's not technically "demolition", but seemed to fit the bill in any event.

The funny part of this deal is, I know the homeowner, and the owner of the "construction" company...it's my old neighborhood from years ago, and I even will admit though much younger...I worked for this fella.:cool2

Let's see what you guys think, then I'll throw my 2c in, and I'll bet I can pretty much explain what and why it happened.:beatsme

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2010/04/16/news/shoreline/aa1_north_branford_excavator041610.txt

dist3

Occupation
Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
You wouldn't beleive this guy could still be in business. Nothing is road worthy. Also runs a dairy farm that is down right disgraceful. CT DMV could keep all inspectors just on his fleet and never look at another truck!

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Let's see what you guys think, then I'll throw my 2c in, and I'll bet I can pretty much explain what and why it happened.:beatsme

The article explained how it happened, if that is correct and if you read the comments, half would have the machine owner locked up, because of his previous actions and the other half reckon he's a good bloke. The thing I take out of it is this, these days no one will stand up and take responsibility for their actions. The home owner said that he hadn't heard from the machine owner since the accident happened. If that was my machine and he was my worst enemy, I would still have a team of men there to help him clean up the mess and organise for his place to be fixed up, because it was my machine that did the damage. The same thing happens here ocassionally, where through fire or accident or whatever, the people responsible will go to ground and it finishes up with neighbours becoming enemies. Things like this can happen to any of us anytime, what is wrong with accepting responsibility, you are certainly held in a lot higher regard if you do.

I'll get of my soapbox now.

RnR.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Wow being "burnt up about it" would be the understatement of the century if that happened to me.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
You wouldn't beleive this guy could still be in business. Nothing is road worthy. Also runs a dairy farm that is down right disgraceful. CT DMV could keep all inspectors just on his fleet and never look at another truck!

I've wondered the same thing all these years myself. Not taking sides here, because I worked for him as a kid years ago. I also watched a few things go down that made me wonder...
But on the flip side, he is always there for the neighbors. All the kids have free reign to ride dirtbikes, atv's, fish, anything on his land without asking even. He's always been the first to pull somebody out of the ditch with a tractor, etc. Whenever somebody needs a job to get them on their feet, if they are capable that is, he's hired many a body.
You need something, all you do is stop at the "farm" (used loosely,) and ask, he generally just gives stuff away. Crude, rough, but giving. Tough not to like the guy, no matter what the popular opinion.
He gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "never give up"...
On the other hand, like RnR said, someone should have been there immediately at least cleaning up some of the mess, I agree 100%. I think the owner was up at his other farm up in northern New York at the time of the incident, otherwise he'd be there doing something, he wouldn't just hide.
Like the old saying goes...stuff happens.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Thing is, the window could have hit the travel levers, but it couldn't of touched the safety lockout. What's the deal with that?

Hendrik

I've wondered the same thing all these years myself. Not taking sides here, because I worked for him as a kid years ago. I also watched a few things go down that made me wonder...
But on the flip side, he is always there for the neighbors. All the kids have free reign to ride dirtbikes, atv's, fish, anything on his land without asking even. He's always been the first to pull somebody out of the ditch with a tractor, etc. Whenever somebody needs a job to get them on their feet, if they are capable that is, he's hired many a body.
Problem is, slack work practices are going to get some 'body' killed one day.
You operate heavy equipment you have to take responsibility.