• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

RT or ARC?

fuggly

I need a crane about as much as most of the Range Rovers I see need 4WD. I'm going to get one anyway. I had a decent old Grove RT 515 and it was a huge help with a gabion wall project. I had scheduled a month with an excavator and with the crane we finished it in 7 working days. I sold it for a profit when we finished the job and circumstances have changed to where I may have a use for one again. With the idea that a recession is looming large, what would a realistic budget be?

The crane weighed right at 50,000# and we move it on a 35 ton lowboy being pulled by a BCIV 350 with a 9 speed. If there are any hills around, it's more than the old KW wants. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the AT400-422's or the Link Belt smaller ATC's. I could road them locally and they would scale less on the lowboy than the 515 did for longer moves?

Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

crane operator

The AT would get you a better roadability than a RT. Its pretty hard to see to the right when roading a RT, the lower cab in a AT helps out with that. They aren't real fast up and down the road, and they don't have a lot of boom, but if you were fine with a 515 then a 400 is right up your alley for size.

Most of the AT in that size don't sell for a lot of money- they are a little small for the rental guys, and the jobsite guys want a RT.

If the smaller crane still has enough chart for you, I don't think you'll be unhappy.

The at 400 would be new enough that I'd look the LMI system to make sure its functional before purchasing, that can be a big expense if its not working and you want it working.

Last edited:

fuggly

Crane operator thanks for your good advice. Sorry I'm so late getting back. A local quarry is selling a couple of late 90's model 528C's I am going to look at next week. They need work. One needs a head gasket, 6BT Cummins, I believe, and the other has brake issues. I see RT 500 series cranes selling at auction from less than 5K to around 20. Head gasket doesn't bother me but I remember the brakes on the old 518 being a PITA. I expect the maintenance has been good, should be in or recently out of cert. What would something like this be worth. Most everything we have is older, we have a pretty well set up shop. What do you think a fair price for the pair might be?