• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rotary or Flail brush cutter on Mini Excavator ?

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I have a friend that just bought a used Gehl 603 mini.

He wants a flail cutter for around the farm (limited usage)

I told him I could build him a rotary cutter much like the one I made for
my skid loader pretty easily, but a flail is way to much work.

He thinks he really wants a flail type, and not a rotary type.

Having no one nearby that has a flail on a mini, we need opinions
(un-biased ones, not from manufacturers).

lumberjack

Rock Hound and U.S. Mowers are two common brands. I had a RockHound 40EX Hammerhead, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. (My other company sells Rock Hound)

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Rock Hound and U.S. Mowers are two common brands. I had a RockHound 40EX Hammerhead, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. (My other company sells Rock Hound)

Yes, I showed him both those brands.

The question is for a UN-BIASED user (not a salesperson), people that have used both flail and rotary.
What do you like and dislike of either, and why ?

Where is the flail better ?
and
Where is a rotary better ?

Last edited:

lumberjack

Everyone is biased; I make more money using than selling (and sell both styles although I am not peddling wares).

I chose flail because it can produce a finer chip size and the debris gets thrown (usually) perpendicular to the boom. With a rotary style mower the debris can throw any direction, including at the operator. Flails can cut grass-~4" material, while most mini rotary mowers are happier on the lower side of the spectrum. A flail can also be equipped with a thumb saddle for grabbing things while mowing. There's no reason you couldn't have a saddle on a rotary, but I've never seen one on a mini sized rotary. The flails are considerably smaller than a rotary, allowing you to follow contours/washouts better. While it's not recommended, flails are a bit stronger for walking the ex out of hairy spots. The rotary style mower's deck can rack if you put too much weight on a corner, especially the far side corners.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Everyone is biased; I make more money using than selling (and sell both styles although I am not peddling wares).

I chose flail because it can produce a finer chip size and the debris gets thrown (usually) perpendicular to the boom. With a rotary style mower the debris can throw any direction, including at the operator. Flails can cut grass-~4" material, while most mini rotary mowers are happier on the lower side of the spectrum. A flail can also be equipped with a thumb saddle for grabbing things while mowing. There's no reason you couldn't have a saddle on a rotary, but I've never seen one on a mini sized rotary. The flails are considerably smaller than a rotary, allowing you to follow contours/washouts better. While it's not recommended, flails are a bit stronger for walking the ex out of hairy spots. The rotary style mower's deck can rack if you put too much weight on a corner, especially the far side corners.
Thank you, that's much better.

This I can print out and give to my friend.