• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rotary laser

Tunneldigger

Occupation
Farmer with a job in town
I am going to be buying one. I would like to be able to lay field tile and do a slope grade as well as flat. Can I put a reciever on my 590 backhoe? Any other things or brands ? I know close to nothing about them.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
There is an actual section farther down the list for survey. Maybe a moderator will see this and move it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Done. Moved to the Laser Forum.

You will need a slope laser in addition to a machine target/laser catcher. Plan on $3-4K depending on manufacturer.

We have had good luck with Topcon. This will give you an idea on products and cost -

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I purchased a 2 plane adjustable Spectra brand laser several years ago with remote adjustment control and a receiver with both pole and magnetic mount. It works well when I need it, which is very rarely. It's really nice to be able to grade proper slopes rather than be limited to flat work.

When grading, I normally use an Apache BullsEye receiver with a magnetic mount that has a wider input bandwidth and allows for reading out perpendicular and side-to-side for 100% repeatable accuracy. Their mag mount is very robust and stays put This Apache unit can also be tied into remote read-outs and automated valve control for grade contractors. Well built unit, bright lights and easy to use.

I would recommend getting an elevator tripod to make adjusting the laser set-up faster and easier. I'm shopping for one right now because it's faster/easier to adjust the laser height than it is the receiver on a limited amount of boom space.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
My newest laser is an 80 Series GEO MAX. I bought it because I needed a faster spinning laser than the Topcon dual slope I already had for machine control. I thought initially it was a sales trick by the company selling the Smart Grade. I bought it and it was a great decision, excellent laser, does it all, and will spin faster than anything else in its price range that I could find. I also used to use an Apache stuck to the stick, works well, especially if you get the model that allows more latitude on the stick position so it doesn't have to be straight up and down.