• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rope Shovel/"boom jack"

martinjones

Hello everybody,

I am curious if anyone on this forum can tell me exactly what it means to "jack the boom" when operating an electric rope shovel? What exactly is happening when "boom jack" occurs?

In addition to the meaning of that, what are the harmful effects to the shovel, ropes, etc...?

Thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Jacking the boom is when the operator crowds the bucket out too far in any given position. The result is that instead of the bucket "hanging" from the boom it actually jacks up the boom. The boom suspension cables go slack, and if good care is not taken by the operator the boom will come back down with a bang and jar the suspension cables. Over time this could lead to failure of the cables. Not a recommended practice and a sign of a not-so-experienced operator.

Ross

Weight of the front end it removed from the pendant lines and re-applied giving the impression that the boom is bouncing.

It not just crowding that causes it. Dropping the bail and then picking it up to fast will jack the pendant lines as well.

Hit them hard enought and it will throw a 30 second shut down at you.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Speaking of boom jacks, has anyone had problems resetting the system on a 495 or 7495. One of our machines will not reset in the normal manner and as a result we have to call an electrician to perform his magic. As well, we have "ghost" boomjack occurances where the operator did not jack the boom but the error code came up and once again we had to call the electrician. With the changeover from BE to Cat there are a few service issues to be resolved, this being one of them.

lealca

Very good answers, in my case I work in condition monitoring for a CAT 7495 hydracrowd and we note this event affect the suspension ropes. For an explanation in spanish this will be:
El evento "Boom Jacking" se presenta cuando el operador empuja demasiado el balde en un frente de trabajo. El resultado es que en lugar de que el balde cuelgue de la pluma, este hace que la pluma se levante. De esta forma los cables de suspensión se destensan porque el peso de la pluma es soportado por el HydraCrowd (empuje), y si el operador no tiene cuidado la pluma bajará rápidamente y sacudirá los cables de suspensión estirándolos repentinamente. Con el tiempo esto puede llevar a una falla en los cables de suspensión. No es una práctica recomendada.

alco

A boom jack does not have to be a violent event. Jacking the boom is simply lifting the boom, usually with an over extension of the stick. It can also be from picking at a hard toe or skipping along a solid layer of rock at the toe of the face. Usually, the more violent boom jacks are from skipping the bucket off a shale layer or something similar at the toe, or picking at a rock, or hard toe. The crowding issue usually sets all the brakes and as you release the brakes, the shovel computers lower the boom automatically, and very gently.

It not just crowding that causes it. Dropping the bail and then picking it up to fast will jack the pendant lines as well.

Dropping your bailbar and picking up the slack quickly will not cause a boom jack. The boom doesn't move during a manoeuvre like that.

Ross

A boom jack does not have to be a violent event. Jacking the boom is simply lifting the boom, usually with an over extension of the stick. It can also be from picking at a hard toe or skipping along a solid layer of rock at the toe of the face. Usually, the more violent boom jacks are from skipping the bucket off a shale layer or something similar at the toe, or picking at a rock, or hard toe. The crowding issue usually sets all the brakes and as you release the brakes, the shovel computers lower the boom automatically, and very gently.

Dropping your bailbar and picking up the slack quickly will not cause a boom jack. The boom doesn't move during a manoeuvre like that.

Next time I run a 4100 I will video it. Am good dropping the bail and bouncing the boom around like that.

alco

Next time I run a 4100 I will video it. Am good dropping the bail and bouncing the boom around like that.

Love to see it, because dropping and picking the bail bar will not cause the boom to lift into the air. What it will do, is set your brakes once you lower past a certain point, as your limits have been reached.

The 30 second shutdown would come from shock loading one or more sensors on the machine, which I have never seen an operator actually be poor enough to do. It would take a massive shock load to jar a sensor into a misreading like that, and that's just plain abuse.

Ross

Love to see it, because dropping and picking the bail bar will not cause the boom to lift into the air. What it will do, is set your brakes once you lower past a certain point, as your limits have been reached.

The 30 second shutdown would come from shock loading one or more sensors on the machine, which I have never seen an operator actually be poor enough to do. It would take a massive shock load to jar a sensor into a misreading like that, and that's just plain abuse.

Yeah but av seen it happen so I will agree to dis-agree I guess.

The problem is not as prevalent on the newer P&H Centurion machines as the ABSS kicks in. This is automatic and most of the time the operator won't even notice but we know as its logged. On these machines here it's all controlled via a 'Linear Resolver' which measures backward boom movement, its not a switch at all more like a linear transducer if anything, The whole range is from 0 to 1 degree and the Stage 1 & 2 events are programmed per customer request. Stage 2 brake set 'No reference ABSS' on these shovels is 0.5 degree I think.

Never seen brakes set during limits. It normally shuts the direction function down and goes into Proving.

Been a while since I done any Product training on these shovels.

All operations and shovels are different, here the lower limit is set with the bail lower down. This allows maintinence to work on the bail during coffee breaks without shutting the limits down. I recently replaced a Rope retainer boss on a 72yrd equalizer. The operator simply lowered the bail vertical for my convenience.

And don't get hairy, the info is for anyone interested, please feel free to add info that I missed?

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
Only time I've had it give me a boom jack from something like that is when the limits are set wrong and the brakes lock up when you try to crowd in to far when cleaning the floor or something. Then I have had it boom jack. Ours are A models.

alco

Yeah but av seen it happen so I will agree to dis-agree I guess.

The problem is not as prevalent on the newer P&H Centurion machines as the ABSS kicks in. This is automatic and most of the time the operator won't even notice but we know as its logged. On these machines here it's all controlled via a 'Linear Resolver' which measures backward boom movement, its not a switch at all more like a linear transducer if anything, The whole range is from 0 to 1 degree and the Stage 1 & 2 events are programmed per customer request. Stage 2 brake set 'No reference ABSS' on these shovels is 0.5 degree I think.

Never seen brakes set during limits. It normally shuts the direction function down and goes into Proving.

Been a while since I done any Product training on these shovels.

All operations and shovels are different, here the lower limit is set with the bail lower down. This allows maintinence to work on the bail during coffee breaks without shutting the limits down. I recently replaced a Rope retainer boss on a 72yrd equalizer. The operator simply lowered the bail vertical for my convenience.

And don't get hairy, the info is for anyone interested, please feel free to add info that I missed?

What I am saying, is that you have seen something else, and are misinterpreting it as a boom jack. You cannot create enough force to overcome the weight of the boom, and cause it to lift with only the weight of the stick, bail bar and bucket flipping down and up. You have to lift the boom to get a boom jack, and that's not possible by bouncing the stick in the air.

We run A, B and C series machines with both Avtron and Centurion control systems, and it just doesn't happen like you're saying. I'm well aware that the resolver measures the boom movement, but, unlike what you are saying, the resolver does not set a 30 second shutdown. So any 30 second shutdown that initiates will be from a shock or jarring event tripping another sensor somewhere.

I'm in no way getting "hairy" as you claim, I'm simply trying to make sure the correct information is there for those who want it.

Only time I've had it give me a boom jack from something like that is when the limits are set wrong and the brakes lock up when you try to crowd in to far when cleaning the floor or something. Then I have had it boom jack. Ours are A models.

That's exactly what I'm saying Desertwheeler. That's a normal boom jack, where the stick is out too far, and lifts the boom. Wether it's from skipping the bucket off the floor, crowding too far, or ramping the boom with a brake locked crowd, the boom has to be lifted to get a boom jack.

Ross

The shovels here carry big buckets, if you snatch the bail up with the speed and power of an XPC it loads the entire front end up, you can drop the bail onto the bucket and full tilt it back up. (Which I do when I play shovel dog) the pendant lines spring load, bounce and shake the crap out of everything. Maybe its the bucket swinging into the face a little that creates a smaller gap between the face and pinions that might lift the boom slightly. But like I said, know what I saw and believe what I seen.

Control systems can be programmed how every you want them to be. They where out again the other day messing with the programming. Propel crap.

alco

To each their own. I don't believe it's possible, the folks I have talked to at P&H don't believe it's possible, and the other operators I have talked to don't believe it's possible, but you apparently know best.

I will gladly await your video to prove otherwise.

Last edited:

Ross

To each their own. I don't believe it's possible, the folks I have talked to at P&H don't believe it's possible, and the other operators I have talked to don't believe it's possible, but you apparently know best.

I will gladly await your video to prove otherwise.

Anything is possible. Even you being wrong for once in your life is possible :D (But highly unlikely)

Anyhow, Thought you were on the sick with ya back? Are you back to work? Hope they fixed you up good, a nice run on a scraper should help it out.

Ah I cannot help but laugh when people mention The P&H guys sorry.

Last edited:

alco

Don't worry, one day you may be right about something....LOL.

My back is all fixed up. I've been back to work for about 2 months. I'll be staying as far away from buggies as I can! No more rough stuff for me......I'll have to sit on my nice smooth shovel and suffer....LOL.

Ross

Don't worry, one day you may be right about something....LOL.

My back is all fixed up. I've been back to work for about 2 months. I'll be staying as far away from buggies as I can! No more rough stuff for me......I'll have to sit on my nice smooth shovel and suffer....LOL.

Well Iam 'Right' handed. It's a start I guess.

So come in then, wodda ya been running latley? IDE be looking for that C-Boss. Nice stainless steel cab and a 30 grand chair.

Any new big iron?

They retro fitted the XPB with a Gen II Air-Scrub pro house last year and did the swing ring, the only big iron upgrade here since the newest XPC, Don't think av ever posted a pic of that Retro fit?