• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Root Rake Worth It?

Aaron93

Hello All

I have a d53 we don’t have a root rake on it but I was thinking about purchasing one. They aren’t too expensive so I was considering getting one. We do everything from clearing a few lots to Whole residential subdivisions. Are they worth it?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Stick or root rake = yes. A stickrake can be 2× the width of the dozer blade so clean up are faster

Aaron93

Stick or root rake = yes. A stickrake can be 2× the width of the dozer blade so clean up are faster

Looking at the root rake I don’t think we will get a stick rake. Does a root rake help that much more than a standard dozer blade? Does it filter more dirt and soil? It seems like if you get a few sticks in front of a root rake it will push dirt anyways.

sled dog

Aaron, I can tell you what I do. Others may do it different. With the rake on, and pushing to the pile, I am constantly rolling what I'm pushing. The rolling shakes the dirt out, breaks branches, and compacts the pile. I burn everything, so a tighter, cleaner push pile burns better.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The art of using a rake is to get the dirt out. As you get near the stack start going a series of short pushes at the same time lifting the blade so every thing rolls. Once you get good there won't be any dirt at all

D6c10K

I have a USA Attachments take for my D6c. Works good for rolling and pushing brush to piles but don't expect it to rip out small roots unless you bury it until the blade gets them. I do find I can bush up a taller pile with just the blade. The teeth sticking down limits piling.

Aaron93

I have a USA Attachments take for my D6c. Works good for rolling and pushing brush to piles but don't expect it to rip out small roots unless you bury it until the blade gets them. I do find I can bush up a taller pile with just the blade. The teeth sticking down limits piling.

Would you buy it again?

D6c10K

I used it quite a bit initially but haven't done a lot of clearing recently. I also have a CTL with a grapple rake now so that's filling part of the same need.
It wasn't all that expensive so if you have work for it I'd say it's useful.