• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ronnie's latest creation

Abscraperguy

wow, thats pretty crazy.. it's almost as good as the scraper-grader

Ok so what's the story behind the scraper-grader? Never heard about that one.

That is one impressive machine.

Some questions and comments I had.

1. When looking at the machine right from the side I noticed that the distance between the front and back wheels is not as much as a 24. I also noticed a HUGE butt, lots of tail swing. Is there a reason why didn't mount the wheels farther back?

2. Any idea the HP on this baby? Alco lists this machine being made out of a 988B, 834B, 836B, 235C, D10N, and 657B. Is there any of those machines that would have an engine of bigger HP than a 24H? Or is there two engines under that hood. It looks like there might be room. That hood is big enough to play football on.

JDOFMEMI

Just a guess here on the power, but it looks like the drive train is mostly 988B/834B/836B style, so it probably has the 3408 at around 400 horse.
Watching the video makes me think the 400 HP sounds about right as well.

X Quad Operator

Ronni what size tires? Around 1980 I was going to buy Jerry Miller's Dad's old Caterpillar 16 stiff neck and rebuild it, put a rear engine out of a 657B model 460 horse which bolted right up then put bigger tires on it, add a 4' extension, being an old finish blade hand from back in the late 60's thought it would compete with the 16G's, the only difference it wouldn't bend in the middle, haveing run the stiff necks slopeing I thought it might work. I liked the old controls on the F model blades, and the operators compartment was very comfortable visibility wise. I have never liked cabs on equiptment, thought it had to many blind spots for potential problems, and I always liked sitting out in the open winter or summer. Have you run the Cat 24's yet? How tall is the molboard on the blade in the photo.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
Now appearing in calgary

I found the 25m here in Calgary today, on the southern half of the Stony trail. it wasnt working, getting some repairs ( bet its a mechanics nightmare, is this part from a 988,815,657, or what?)

i managed to snap a few picts, bit ill try to get somemore tommorrow.

Attachments

• 25m 2.JPG
    25m 2.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 2,898
  • 25m 3.JPG
    25m 3.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,661

RDG

Occupation
Multi skilled plant operator for 40+yrs
If it only had around 400hp it would have to be a 22 or 23M coz isn"t the 24 rated at 500hp. My guess is the D10N bit is probably the engine turned up to around 600hp. Just my guesstimate. Cheers RDG.

Gavin84w

it has to have more then 400hp for that size of blade?

When you hear it in the video and you know what a 988B sounds like from being around them and i have had a minute or 2 around them it sounds exactly the same, now flame away as you will at that comment but the facts are a 988B ran 375HP from memory and the highest HP a 3408 ran in a machine was the 631D at 450HP so i am guessing she is tuned up a bit but not over 500 or anything like that. Who is to say that Ron has not modified the trans and/or diff ratios and is pulling all the speed and torques he needs with the std 988B 375HP? This would go a long ways to helping driveline life if he did not have to chanel any more power than is necessary through it.

RDG, the numbering thing really is not a guide as Ron has just given it a number and in the scheme of the Cat world it does not reference anything because it is not a Cat product, sure it is derived from plenty of Peoria and a few other places best items but i don,t even think the blade is 25 ft wide, could be wrong though as i would not be that rude and run a tape across it when i went to his workshop in April and he was well into it.

No doubt it will have some teething problems and they will get ironed out, pretty refreshing really to see this sort of ingenuity in this day and age.

alco

That's the same machine as the other pictures. The 25M is sitting at his yard in Edmonton, as in the last picture.

Graderfan1981

Did they change the yellow box between the backwheels in the other site? In the yard it is on the left site and the other pictures on the right site.

JDOFMEMI

That is not the same box. It looks like something added on later.

Maybe it needed extra batteries to start in the frozen wastelands:D
The other side had what looks to be the hydraulic reservoir, and it looks like a narrowed version of the 988's original tank. I am sure it is still there, though we can't see that side in the recent photo from Edmonton.