• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rolloff vs hooklift truck

Drewster2016

Aaaaand, we're right back to the first page, not to be rude, but we've already been over this. By the time you get a hook system on the truck and the weight of whatever can you're hauling, there just ain't much payload left. But hey, if that's what you want, go for it. Personally I don't think it's realistic, but then I never let that stop me either! LOL. Seriously if you do go with a truck under CDL make sure you got scales on it, that way if you pick up an overweight can (and you will) you'll know it and can avoid the tickets or broken springs/axles.

Good luck!

Maybe your right, just a get a heavy duty cdl truck so that way there will be plenty of payload, only issue idk where to look for trucks or how much I should spend on out first one

rolloffbrian

We bought a new Hino 268A and put a Swaploader SL180 on it in 2007. It was a good combo of hook and truck, didn't have a problem out of either.

Several things I like about a hook over a cable. One you can push a container into place easier. You can place a can on an elevated surface like a loading dock which a cable can't. The dump angle is more like a dump truck, if you want to use the truck for different applications and with no frame overhanging the rear end it makes it easier to pull trailers if need be.

We sold the roll-off company in 2011 and I still see that Hino running around with cans.

If you were getting into a larger truck and cans, I would suggest a cable for one reason - it makes your operation more attractive to buyers if you wanted to sell its as the larger companies mostly run cable hoists.

Correction to the statement above that a cable truck can't place a can on an elevated surface or loading dock. There is no reason a cable truck
cannot place a can on an elevated surface like a loading dock. Unless the driver lacks the skills or experience it may be easier with a hooklift but is definitely possible and not that difficult.

rolloffbrian

Hooklift is to heavy for an F350. I started in 2010 with 3 -10 yd cans and a 1999 Chevy 3500 with the switch n go system a much lighter hoist. In 2012 I bought a new F350 and moved the hoist over from the old truck. Now I have 20 cans. The average weight of a load in 10 yd can is just over a ton and the truck is set up to haul 2 tons. If I was to do it again I would have switched to the F550 only because I rent to more roofers and I am limited to about 17 square.

Imperial03246

A little late to join the party here, but thought I'd chime in. I started a business last fall and am probably going to disagree with everything you all say!

I was considering setting up a business using dump trailers, figuring it would be a cheap "in". I could use my pickup to move them, so it would only be a minimal investment in a few trailers. I got turned on to hook-lifts and started digging. My goal was to fill the void that the bigger companies have left by not having smaller containers. I also wanted to stay under CDL: less red tape, no license, easier to maneuver in small places, etc. I walked into this with zero experience in the waste industry, and my only experience driving was in my dad's box truck.

I settled on a 2007 Hino 268a...Pre-emissions and under CDL. It has proven to be a hell of a truck; I bought it from Brion Maguire from Trucks and Parts of Tampa (at his PA location). Then, I had a local company (Donovan....two thumbs up to them!) install a Pioneer hook (18,500 #) and a Pioneer tarper. The hook will serve 36" or 54" hook heights.

I bought dumpsters from International Container...10 and 15 yd tub style with a 54" hook height. One of the big advantages is that the hook is higher and more visible, especially when it snows.

I can't say enough good about the set up we have. We have a capacity of about 5 tons, which *usually* more than enough. We're filling a void that the "big boys" don't want. The cans are perfect for home cleanouts, smaller residential construction, and roofing. We've already purchased our second round of containers. Someone here mentioned the hook having an advantage because of the wide approach angle....absolutely correct. I can set the dumpster almost on the ground and shoe horn it in about anywhere. Then, to pick up...I can back up at a 45 degree angle and get it right on.

Could the Hook move a little quicker? Yup. Would I like a bigger truck? Yup, someday. But, we found a void and we're filling it. We're right where we want to be after just getting in the business 8 months ago.

I will say, I wouldn't go with any smaller of a truck. You just won't have enough capacity. I don't know that you'll find that much of an advantage in going to a 33,000# truck...plus you'll need a CDL!!! Is it THAT big of a deal? No. But I've found that the set up we have is giving us the experience and reputation that we want. When we grow, we'll definitely move into the bigger truck/cans...but for now we're doing extremely well. Our customers know what we offer, and if a job is too big we tell them so. They appreciate the honesty, as opposed to just jumping ship. We also find that people don't want to use the "big boys"...rather, they WANT to deal locally.

Did I have to invest more than I wanted? YUP. But, when I made that switch it's when the concept turned from a hobby to a business...and in doing so we brought it to a whole new level.

Do your research. Think it through. Ask questions. Take care of your customers. Take pride in what you do.

Do all of that, and you'll do well.

Old Doug

I would like to build a way to switch beds on my f600 from a flat bed with sides to a longer bed that would touch the ground to have some thing winch up on or to a bed to pull a trailer. I plan on building it my self would a hook bed be better than a rolloff?

Imperial03246

Old Doug the hooks have a LOT of different options. Dumpsters, utility bodies, car haulers, septic/potty bodies, fire apparatus, etc.

When it comes to hauling something with a flat bed, I think the hook has a bit of an advantage as opposed to a roll-back flat bed body. With the hook, you can put the body flat on the ground and then load the car or piece of equipment on it. It should roll on easier, because you're going up a bump, as opposed to climbing a big hill. Also, because of it being on the ground you can have a lower approach angle...an advantage if you're putting cars with low clearance. Then, once it's loaded on, you pull the entire setup onto the truck. You'll just need to fabricate some sort of ramp to get the vehicle onto the body.

I think the hook is more versatile than a roll off, and you won't have to be replacing cables and winches.

Good luck.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Old Doug
I would like to build a way to switch beds on my f600 from a flat bed with sides to a longer bed that would touch the ground to have some thing winch up on or to a bed to pull a trailer. I plan on building it my self would a hook bed be better than a rolloff?

I built mine with a ram to open up straight to the ground. Then pull it tight out of the way. Pretty easy!

Attachments

• Tail ram extended to place box on the ground.jpg
    Tail ram extended to place box on the ground.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 266
  • Tail ram fully in.jpg
    Tail ram fully in.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 268
  • Ram to pull tail flush to the ground.jpg
    Ram to pull tail flush to the ground.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 266

bins

How are you liking your containers from international? What is the pricing on a 15 yd can? What would you say the average tonnage is in your 15 yd cans from customers?

TunaTime

Some people like the hooklifts, because of you do not have to get out of your truck to hook up. But you still have to get out to open the rear doors to dump. There is more wear on the hydraulics on a hooklift (pump, valve, cylinders, hoses & pto) because of the higher oil pressure, almost 3000psi verses 2000psi on a rolloff. Hooklift cylinders are pulling the chrome shafts back into the cylinder barrel to pick up a heavy box, verses the rolloff cylinders push out on the reeving winch. Meaning the oil cavity of the cylinder is more volume when pushing out (less psi) than pulling the shaft in. (More psi). Also seen some cylinders heads blow off when pulling the shafts in, pulling heavy boxes. Another thing is that the hooklift cylinders have no angle to push to dump a box, verses a rolloff have rear of the hoist cylinders hanging down for more angle to dump easier.

lantraxco

The rolloffs in my world the driver doesn't get out to hook the container. To be honest I have never seen a cable and winch rolloff in the Northwest, but then I haven't been everywhere.... Standard of the industry here is a sliding hook, chain drive with twin hydraulic motors driving the headshaft to turn the sprockets.

TunaTime

I seen that when I was in Oregon. It is a chain drive system with a hook adapted to it. I only seen this in Washington & Oregon. I think the boxes slide on the frame rails, (steel to steel), instead of side rollers to roll the box on.

lantraxco

I seen that when I was in Oregon. It is a chain drive system with a hook adapted to it. I only seen this in Washington & Oregon. I think the boxes slide on the frame rails, (steel to steel), instead of side rollers to roll the box on.

That's true, but due to the design with a good operator the frame angle is high enough that the hook takes the load and the rear rollers on the box, until the box is almost loaded, then the angle of the frame is reduced until the box is flat on the frame. There's typically only a couple feet or less of sliding until the box locks in.

You can push back with the hook, and swing the box around a corner to a degree. On the other hand you can't yard one across a muddy spot with the winch line though, lol.