• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rocks on the runway!

Lashlander

do those trucks just sit there or do they get chained to the top of the container:confused:

The truck is lashed down to the flat they are on with 1/2" long link chain, tightened with 7/8" turnbuckles. Then they stack the containers with cones between them to keep them from sliding on each other. Then each container is crossed chained to the deck of the barge on each end. They use 30" bars to tighten the chains. On our barge I tell my guys to tighten em til they smoke and then take em a quarter of a turn. Its a lot of hard work to lash down the barges.
Even after all that they come in once in a while with whole stacks of containers missing or tipped over on deck. One came in a couple years ago with a 5 high stack on reefers tipped over on one of their forklifts. I had to take our crane down to pick them off of it. Scored some killer seafood from it though.:D

OKYLE

Global Warming is bs.

Just like Global Cooling was in the 60's and 70's. I remember teachers saying glaciers would begin creeping south in my life time :/

you pump enough money into something ie research, everyones gonna start looking for ways to answer your question the way you want.

------

This thread has some amazing pictures. great looking job you guys are doing up there.

Lashlander

I thought global warming and rising sea levels would take care of a rock problem like this.

The last two winters here have been the worst in the nineteen years I've lived here. Ihaven't seen a lot of it.

This thread has some amazing pictures. great looking job you guys are doing up there.

Thanks! I appreciate all the great comments.

Lashlander

This ones a wrap!

Had a redesign on the haulout ramp floats so they got delayed a little. :Banghead Anyway they finally showed so got them installed. The uplands work got done and paved last week. Eveyone seems to be happy, even the pilots.:thumbsup

Last edited:

Lashlander

wow that looks good, lots of work has been done. by the look of the floating dock, how high does the water go up and down????

thansk

Hey KoO, hows it going. Been wondering where you been. There is about 12' of tide change in this area. On the backside of the Island in Larsen Bay where we worked on the Cannery dock there is 22' of tide.If you get up in Cook Inlet by Anchorage they get about 40' of tide change. The only place they have bigger tides is The Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
The Bay of Fundy is between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and yeah its a PITA to work with.We have to load a container ship start to finish in 12 hours due to the tides.