• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rock Hammers

jscanlon

What brand rock hammers are people having the most luck out of? We carry Independent Breakers and have great luck with them. Just doing some research for myself.

breakrocks

We've run Soosan hammers for over 25 years and have had great luck with them. They work circles around the cat rental hammers.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have an Okada and a Husky II. Both have been good, zero problems and we break a lot of concrete with them. I am going to give an Allied Rammer a go here this Spring.

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
I'd like to jump in here
Plan on getting a hammer for skidsteer

Won't get used much. Good brands & biggest one possible?

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Trusted Adviser to the Construction World
We've run Soosan hammers for over 25 years and have had great luck with them. They work circles around the cat rental hammers.

CAT hammers are the ABSOLUTE WORST hammer on the planet. Tell your friends, tell your neighbors...don't tell your competitors. ;) So that's not a bar I'd give much credence to...but I've never heard bad things about Soosan.

For the love of all things holy, do not buy a Cat hammer...unless you're a horrible person. Then don't believe me as I'm a huge liar.

FTR the reasons they are the worst...
A. Over priced from the start.
B. Unreliable. Local dealer down here had like 70% of their under 1 year old hammers in the shop from their newly started 'rental' company.
C. Expensive parts.

MrElectric03

If you want a cheap hammer to get through a job or two there are many out there to fit the bill. If you want a quality hammer than can be repaired for 20+ years than NPK is the way to go. Having the piston captured between the sleeves and being able to replace inner parts when an operator does something dumb ( not that they ever do) is a big thing to consider. Also NPK does not use a bladder to wear out and rupture.

As previously mentioned for the love of god don't buy a CAT hammer...

For a skid steer the NPK PH line is tough to beat. They are at a much better price point than most of the NPK products when compared to competitors hammers and are just as reliable.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
We've got a bunch of Cat hammers. I've always felt they were on the weak side. Never had a chance to compare them to anything else though to confirm my suspicions.

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Trusted Adviser to the Construction World
That's the one thing Cat has going for it...so many of their customers are so Kool-Aid drunk they never run anything else to compare it to.

I'm also not a fan of Cat mini's. Got on a 305.5 the other day and that was a limp wristed b*****d.

My one customer went against my recommendation and bought a 304.5 because he hates the Case dealer & only knows them and Cat, and doesn't want to start any 'new relationships'. (rolls eyes). His new 10k pound Cat won't pick up what his 13 year old 8k pound Takeuchi will.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!! Or at least listen to someone who's been on other machines that has an idea of how they stack up.

And to be fair there are a lot of other brands besides Cat that people buy blindly. I'm always amazed, especially with hammers, what people consider to be good or trouble free. "Oh, we only have to rebuild it like every year or two"...umm...that's not really impressive.

Rant over.

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
I would recommend teledyne, npk and okada.
Our okada is a top60b it fires at 1200 bpm @ I believe 1200 ft lbs.
Sounds like a air chipping hammer.
Parts are easy to obtain and the quality is extreemly high.
We have had years of service between rebuilds and at the bpm of the hammer it out performs most hammers in its class.

Our teledyne is a 975x 4500lb class and it's been a work horse for years with minimal breakdowns. And again parts are easy to aquire and the company is very easy to work with.

I haven't had a npk on our machines but I know tons of people working them and they love them.
Here is a pic of the teledyne, I'm in hawaii were it's 99% solid rock.
I would say stay away from off brand hammers they always sell out the company's and it's a pain to track down parts.
We're currently rebuilding a late 2000s terex 1400 hammer and it took a month to track down who is the owners. Turns out the hammers now belong to yanmar.
Also having a hammer with removable bores is the way to go.

Attachments

• 20170417_172553.jpg
    20170417_172553.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11